Another convergent and divergent

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of a series and suggests using the comparison test or the integral test to determine it. The comparison test is shown to not be applicable in this case, but the integral test is used to prove that the series diverges. It is also mentioned that u-substitution can be used in the integral test and a hint is given for setting up the improper integral.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent.
[tex]\sum[/tex] n5 / (n6 + 1)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tnutty - any ideas?
maybe a comparison test...

Yes I was thinking of the comparison test, but that's next chapter. in this chpt, its all about integral test. i am not sure how to solve this with integral test, but can you check out the comparison test that follows ?

Comparison test ;

n^5 / (n^6+1) <= n^5 / n^6 = 1/n and from definition we know that 1/(n^p)
converges if n > 1 and diverges if n< 1. So in this case it diverges since n = 1.

Any ideas solving this by integral test?

The comparison test does show divergence that's right.

For the integral test however, since the numerator contains [tex]n^5[/tex] and the derivative of the denominator is [tex]6n^5[/tex] then you should be able to tell that u-substitution will work like a charm here...

Hint: du/u = ln u.

And for the setup of the improper integral, try looking at the previous thread where I helped you, at the bottom of my last post.

And for the setup of the improper integral, try looking at the previous thread where I helped you, at the bottom of my last post. And because I'm going to bed right now and you seem like you really do need some brushing up on your series, here's the work for it step-by-step!

[tex]{\lim }\limits_{b \to \infty } \int_1^b \frac{n^5}{n^6+1}dn[/tex] Determine your u substitution.

[tex]u=n^6+1, du=6n^5[/tex] Rewrite the integral.

[tex]{\lim }\limits_{b \to \infty } \frac{1}{6} \int_1^b \frac{du}{u}[/tex] Evaluate the integral.

[tex]{\lim}\limits_{b \to \infty } ln(6b^6+1)-ln(6^6+1)[/tex] Substitute in for [tex]b[/tex]

[tex]\infty - ln(6^6+1) = \infty[/tex]

Infinity minus a number = Infinity.

Hence by the Integral Test the series diverges!

tnutty said:
Yes I was thinking of the comparison test, but that's next chapter. in this chpt, its all about integral test. i am not sure how to solve this with integral test, but can you check out the comparison test that follows ?

Comparison test ;

n^5 / (n^6+1) <= n^5 / n^6 = 1/n and from definition we know that 1/(n^p)
converges if n > 1 and diverges if n< 1. So in this case it diverges since n = 1.
?

No, you can't conclude from this comparison that the series diverges. For the comparison test to show that a series diverges, the terms have to be larger than those of a divergent series. Here you show that they are smaller than those of [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex].

rwisz said:
The comparison test does show divergence that's right.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no it does not. Take a look at the comparison test and what it says about divergent series and what it says about convergent series. They are different.
rwisz said:
For the integral test however, since the numerator contains [tex]n^5[/tex] and the derivative of the denominator is [tex]6n^5[/tex] then you should be able to tell that u-substitution will work like a charm here...

Hint: du/u = ln u.

And for the setup of the improper integral, try looking at the previous thread where I helped you, at the bottom of my last post.

as Mark mentioned out the comparison test points out that if

[tex] b_n > a_n [/tex] for all n>N then if an diverges so does bn
so your pevious example doesn't work...

but to get this condition you could notice

[tex] \frac{n^5}{n^6 + 1} > \frac{1}{2n} [/tex] which is true [tex] \forall n >1 [/tex]

or
[tex] \frac{n^5}{n^6 + 1} > \frac{n^5}{n^6 + n^5} = \frac{1}{n+1} [/tex] which is true [tex] \forall n >1 [/tex] and cleary diverges...

clearly

Mark44 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no it does not. Take a look at the comparison test and what it says about divergent series and what it says about convergent series. They are different.

Ah good catch! I was not paying close enough attention, I apologize. But I did prove divergence by the Integral test... so I get some slack right? :)

No but in all seriousness I do apologize, for lack of a better phrase, my bad!

What is meant by "convergent and divergent" in science?

"Convergent and divergent" refers to two types of evolution or adaptation in species. Convergent evolution is when two unrelated species develop similar traits in response to similar environmental pressures. Divergent evolution is when a single species evolves into two or more distinct species due to different environmental pressures.

How do scientists study convergent and divergent evolution?

Scientists study convergent and divergent evolution through a variety of methods, including comparing DNA sequences, examining fossil records, and conducting experiments in controlled environments. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to understand the processes and patterns of evolution.

What are some examples of convergent and divergent evolution?

An example of convergent evolution is the similarities between the wings of birds, bats, and insects, which all evolved independently to allow for flight. An example of divergent evolution is the different beak shapes in finches on the Galapagos Islands, which evolved to suit different food sources and environments.

How does convergent and divergent evolution contribute to biodiversity?

Convergent and divergent evolution play important roles in creating and maintaining biodiversity. Convergent evolution leads to the development of new species with similar traits, while divergent evolution leads to the development of distinct species with unique traits. This diversity allows for species to adapt to changing environments and increases the overall resilience of ecosystems.

What are the implications of convergent and divergent evolution for human health and medicine?

Understanding convergent and divergent evolution can help scientists and medical professionals better understand how diseases evolve and spread, and how to develop more effective treatments. It can also provide insights into the development of new drugs and technologies through the study of convergent evolution in plants and animals.