Another problem that I guessed right.

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an algebraic equation with absolute values and finding the possible values for the expression lx+yl, with one possible value being incorrect. The recommended approach is to solve for x in both expressions and determine the four possible combinations for x + y. It is also suggested to create a thread for posting all questions instead of creating multiple threads.
AznBoi
-_- I'm getting annoyed and I suppose that you guys are too of problems that I don't know exactly how it works! I've made educated guesses and apparently have guessed this one right.

Here goes:
If 2lx+3l=4 and ly+1l/3=2, then lx+yl could equal each of the following EXCEPT:

a) 0
b) 4
c) 8
d) 10
e) 12

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oops, the correct answer is D and I think this is because the other numbers are divisble by 4 and 2 except 10?? lol Can anyone tell me a way of solving this numerically? Plug in numbers? solve for x and y? Please also state the way you think is most efficient. Thanks!

Solve for x in both expressions. Since you have an absolute, there is 2 solutions to each expression. There is a total of 4 combinations for x + y, find all of them and deduce which answer is wrong. And by the way, why don't you make a thread where you can post all your questions? No need to make 3 threads. :tongue2:

Last edited:
haha ok, yeah I solved it thanks!

What is the significance of guessing a problem correctly in science?

The ability to accurately predict a problem can indicate a deep understanding of the underlying mechanisms and principles involved in the problem. It can also help researchers to develop more effective solutions and advance the field.

How do scientists go about solving a problem they have guessed correctly?

Once a problem has been guessed correctly, scientists will typically conduct further research and experimentation to confirm their hypothesis and gather more evidence to support it. They may also collaborate with other researchers and experts in the field to develop a more comprehensive understanding of the problem and potential solutions.

Can guessing a problem correctly lead to new discoveries?

Yes, guessing a problem correctly can often lead to new discoveries and insights. By accurately predicting a problem, scientists can focus their research efforts and make new connections between different phenomena, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

Do scientists always guess problems correctly?

No, scientists do not always guess problems correctly. The process of scientific inquiry involves trial and error, and it is not uncommon for hypotheses to be proven wrong. However, even incorrect guesses can lead to new insights and help guide future research.

What are some common strategies scientists use to guess a problem correctly?

Scientists may use a variety of strategies to guess a problem correctly, including observation, data analysis, and experimentation. They may also draw on their existing knowledge and expertise in the field to make educated guesses and hypotheses.