Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another reminder on finding eigenvectors

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    Another question with respect to finding eigenvectors.

If I remember correctly, I should be able to look at certain 2 by 2 matrices and practically write down the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

For example, I have a diagonal matrix, I know immediately what the eigenvalues and eigenvectors are.

E.g. M = \begin{bmatrix}
    1 &0 \\[0.3em]
    0 & x \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}

Well, I know immediately λ_1 =1, λ_2 = x and that the eigenvectors are e_1 = (1 0) and e_2 = (0 1).

Now, what about an upper diagonal matrix?

Take M = \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & -1 \\[0.3em]
    0 & x-(1/4) \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}

I can see λ_1=1 and that e_1 = (1 0)

How do you find the second eigenvalue and eigenvector?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In a "triangular matrix", just as in a diagonal matrix, the numbers on the diagonal are the eigenvalues. In your example they are -1, NOT 1, and x- (1/4).

More generally, if your matrix is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & 0 \\ -1 & b\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    then a and b are the eigenvalues.

The eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue a must satisfy
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & -1 \\ 0 & b\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}ax & ay\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that we have equations ax- y= ax and by= ay. The first equation, on subtracting ax from both sides, gives -y= 0 so y= 0. The second equation, which is equivalent to (b- a)y= 0 also gives y= 0. An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue a is <1, 0> as you say.

The eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue b must satisfy
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & 1 \\ 0 & b\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}bx \\ by\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    which gives the equations ax- y= bx and by= by. The first equation is the same as y= (b- a)x while the second equation is satisfied by any y. Any eigenvector is of the form <x, y>= <x, (b-a)x>= x<1, b-a>.

In your case, with a= 1 and b= x- 1/4, 1 is an eigenvalue with corresponding eigenvector <1, 0> (or any multiple) and x- 1/4 is an eigenvalue with corresponding eigenvector <1, x- 5/4>.

4. May 3, 2012 #3
    This makes sense, but according to what I have here, the eigenvector should be
    λ_2 = <-1 x+ (3/4)>

This is assuming x-(1/4) > 0. Would that make a difference or is what I have a typo?

5. May 3, 2012 #4
    i.e. b-a is 1-(-1/4)=3/4, right?

6. May 4, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, 1- (-1/4)= 1+ 1/4 = 5/4, not 3/4.

7. May 4, 2012 #6
    Typo on my part.

we get for the "b value" an equation -v_1-v_2 = (x-1/4)*v_1

This is -v_2 =(x+3/4)*v_1

8. May 4, 2012 #7
    That is, using your equation ax- y= bx

a=-1, b=(x-1/4)

9. Jul 20, 2012 #8
    perhaps you should credit the author for the quote at the bottom of your post -- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook