1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another seemingly very easy question (Energy)

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The diagram below is a graph of potential energy vs. interatomic separation for a particular diatomic molecule (that is, a molecule consisting of two atoms).

2iqlitf.gif

For the energy level shown on the graph, imagine drawing a line whose length represents the kinetic energy when the interatomic separation is r0. This line runs from where to where?
    2. Relevant equations

K+U=E?
    0.5Ks^2=E

3. The attempt at a solution
    I always have problems analyzing graphs. I got the latter parts of this question correct which involved doing calculations. However, I can't seem to get this one. The only reasonable answer I can come up with is from 1 to 2 since that would make the molecule unbound and allow it to seperate (break apart). Any help on this question would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you were to draw the total energy on the same graph as a function of r, what would it look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook