1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another simple question: Derivation of the formula for temp. conversion

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    Can some one point me to or explain in simple terms, the derivation of the formula to convert celcius into fahrenheit?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean by derivation. It is just the ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points.

4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    re : Derivation of the formula for temp. conversion

I mean, how does one arrive at this:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)

or what do you mean by "It is just the ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points."

I know it might be very trivial but I'm just having a hard time getting to it..

Thanks..

5. Jun 20, 2007 #4
    1 celsius degree is 9/5 of a fahrenheit degree. on the fahrenheit scale the temperature water freezes at is 32 , on the celsius scale the correspondent temperature is zero. that's it, and that's exactly what russ meant.

6. Jun 20, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook