Answer check: A ball on a spring launched into the air. find speed/height

In summary, when solving for yfinal, you use 3.63m as the value for yfinal and find the velocity to be 8.3m/s.
joe426

Homework Statement

aXvTc.png

Homework Equations

Since energy is conserved, MEinital = MEfinal

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 mvi2 + mgyi + 1/2kxi2 = 1/2 mvf2 + mgyf + 1/2kxf2

After finding what equals 0, I am left with:
1/2kxi2 = 1/2mvf2 + mgyf
v=5.97m/s

I found yf by: mgyf = 1/2kxi2
yf = 3.63m

Just checking to see if these answers are correct. THank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
joe426 said:
After finding what equals 0, I am left with:
1/2kxi2 = 1/2mvf2 + mgyf
v=5.97m/s
I get a different result. Please post more details of your calculation.

haruspex said:
I get a different result. Please post more details of your calculation.

First I found yf, which is the answer to part b.
Since energy is being conserved, I came up with PEf = KEi. This seems weird because usually there is no potential energy at the final position but it was the only thing I could come up with.

mgyf = 1/2kxi2
y= (1/2kxi2) / g
y=3.63m

Then,

1/2kxi2 = 1/2mvf2 + mgyf

sqrt((kxi2 - mgyf) / m) = v
v = 5.97m/s

Last edited:
joe426 said:
mgyf = 1/2kxi2
1/2kxi2 = 1/2mvf2 + mgyf
Compare those two equations. Shouldn't you get vf=0? ...
sqrt((kxi2 - mgyf) / m) = v
.. but you didn't because you dropped a factor of 2.
For what point of the trajectory do you think you should be finding the velocity in part (a)? What is the value of y at that point.

haruspex said:
Compare those two equations. Shouldn't you get vf=0? ...

.. but you didn't because you dropped a factor of 2.
For what point of the trajectory do you think you should be finding the velocity in part (a)? What is the value of y at that point.

oh ok. i understand. the fastest the ball will be going is right after its released from the spring, not at its highest position in the air.

So its,
1/2mvi2 + 1/2kxi2 = mgyf
vi = sqrt( 2gyf - kxi2 )

But now I'm stuck not knowing what it's final position is.

Using yfinal = 3.63m. I got the velocity to be 7m/s

joe426 said:
Using yfinal = 3.63m. I got the velocity to be 7m/s

I am wrong. The inal position is .15m because that's how far the spring is compressed an that's how far the ball moves before its released from the spring

V= 8.3m/s for part a
Y= 3.6m for part b

Thanks for the help!

What is the equation for finding the speed of a ball on a spring launched into the air?

The equation for finding the speed of a ball on a spring launched into the air is v = √(k/m)A, where v is the speed, k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the ball, and A is the amplitude of the spring's oscillation.

How do you find the height of a ball on a spring launched into the air?

The height of a ball on a spring launched into the air can be found using the equation h = A - A*cos(2πt/T), where h is the height, A is the amplitude of the spring's oscillation, t is the time, and T is the period of the spring's oscillation.

What is the relationship between the speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air?

The speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air are inversely proportional. This means that as the speed increases, the height decreases and vice versa. This relationship is due to the conservation of energy in the system.

What factors affect the speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air?

The speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air are affected by the spring constant, the mass of the ball, and the amplitude of the spring's oscillation. A higher spring constant, lighter mass, and larger amplitude will result in a higher speed and greater height.

How can the speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air be measured experimentally?

The speed and height of a ball on a spring launched into the air can be measured experimentally by using a motion sensor to track the position and velocity of the ball as it moves. This data can then be used to calculate the speed and height of the ball at various points in its motion.