Conservation of Energy: Spring PE: Toy gun on spring

In summary, the toy gun points a styrofoam ball upward with a spring that has a constant k. The ball moves upward until it reaches a max height, and then the air resistance causes it to slow down.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

A toy gun is pointed toward the sky. A Styrofoam ball of mass 10g is at rest against a spring compressed 2cm. The spring is released causing the ball to move upward through the air to a max height of 1m. The air exerts a frictional force of 0.35N on the ball. What is the spring constant(k) of the spring? (Answer: 2240N/m)

Homework Equations

[/B]
.5m⋅Vi^2+.5Kxi^2+mg⋅yi+Ff⋅Δd=.5m⋅Vf^2+.5Kxf^2+mg⋅yf

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I revised the equation as:

.5⋅Kx^2+Ff⋅Δd=mg⋅yf

I took out velocity since it isn't offered in the problem.

m=10g=.01kg
x=2cm=.02m
Δd=1m
Ff=0.35N
K=?

I converted g to kg and cm to m. Then I tried to solve for k.

.5⋅K(.02)^2-.35⋅1=.01⋅9.8⋅1

.0002K-.35=0.98

.0002K=.63

K=.63/.0002

K= 3150

So... I don't know exactly what I did wrong here. I thought that I was on the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of just writing the equation, you should first think of the physics of the problem. Ask yourself the following questions:
1. What is your system?
2. What are the surroundings exerting forces on the system?
3. What is the total initial energy of the system? What are the different contributions to it?
4. What is the final energy of the system?
5. Is the initial energy equal to the final energy? If so, why? If not, why?
6. Can any external forces change the energy of the system?
7. What is the Work-Energy theorem?
8 How do you calculate the work done by the external forces?
Once you answer these questions, the answer should become clear.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Instead of just writing the equation, you should first think of the physics of the problem. Ask yourself the following questions:
1. What is your system?
2. What are the surroundings exerting forces on the system?
3. What is the total initial energy of the system? What are the different contributions to it?
4. What is the final energy of the system?
5. Is the initial energy equal to the final energy? If so, why? If not, why?
6. Can any external forces change the energy of the system?
7. What is the Work-Energy theorem?
8 How do you calculate the work done by the external forces?
Once you answer these questions, the answer should become clear.

Ive been thinking about it and trying to figure it out all day.

So let us figure out the meaning of each term in your relevant equation. Start with the first term, and state what it is. Also state how you revised the relevant equation and got what you wrote.

k is spring constant. x is the compression of the spring. ff is friction force. and then there's displacement. which equals mass multiplied by force due to gravity then that times the displacement again.
.5⋅Kx^2+Ff⋅Δd=mg⋅yf

.5K(.02)^2-.35(1)=(.01)(9.8)(.1)

.0002K-.35=0.098

.0002K=.448

K=.448/.0002

K=2240N/m

I put .98 in the part that I got wrong. I figured it out now thanks.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What is spring potential energy?

Spring potential energy is the energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched. The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it and the distance it is compressed or stretched.

How does a toy gun on a spring demonstrate conservation of energy?

When a toy gun is loaded and the spring is compressed, it gains potential energy. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released and the potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy, causing the projectile (such as a dart or ball) to be launched. This demonstrates the conservation of energy as the potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy without any energy being lost.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in the spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is affected by the force applied to it and the distance it is compressed or stretched. A stronger force or a greater distance will result in more potential energy being stored in the spring.

Why is conservation of energy important in the context of a toy gun on a spring?

Conservation of energy is important in this context because it ensures that the toy gun is able to launch the projectile with the same amount of energy that was initially stored in the spring. Without conservation of energy, the gun would not be able to function properly and the projectile would not be launched with the desired force.