Answer: Job Hunting? Gear Question - Which Makes More Revolutions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bikerken1977
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bikerken1977
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
OK, so I'm looking for a job! I have had the same mechanical aptitude test3 or 4 times, and I just can't find an answer to one question that I really want to double check, just to make sure I am right. So here it is; There are 4 gear, just to ease the explanation I will say them like coin sizes. On the left is a nickle, it's the drive gear. Then you have (A) Quater (B) .50 cent piece, and (C) dime. These are placed like interconnecting gears. The question is which makes more revolutions (A) (B) or (C). Now, I believe it's (C) the smallest gear, a step smaller than the drive gear. However I am unsure because the 2 gears before it step up then step up again. So, which one makes more revolutions? Am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to look at it is in-between gears make no difference. You could have a dinner plate sized gear between two nickels and the nickels would both turn at the same speed.

That's why you hardly ever see this type of arrangement in real life, it's basically useless except for direction changes.