Answering phones "talking" vs "speaking"

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, in old (USA) films from the 1930's and 1940's, characters often identified themselves as "talking" when answering the phone, but nowadays, it is more common to use the word "speaking." This is evident in the fact that most people nowadays say "speaking" when answering the phone, and it is rare to hear someone say "talking" in this context. Additionally, in movies from that era, the characters usually said "this is Jed Truntree" or "Jed Truntree here" instead of using the words "talking" or "speaking."
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In watching old (USA) films from the 1930's an 1940's, characters who answer phones often use the work "talking" when they identify themselves, as in "Jed Truntree talking". By contrast, it seems more natural to me to use the word "speaking" , as in "Jed Truntree speaking". Which verb is more prevalent in that context nowadays? - "talking" or "speaking"?

Science news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
In watching old (USA) films from the 1930's an 1940's, characters who answer phones often use the work "talking" when they identify themselves, as in "Jed Truntree talking". By contrast, it seems more natural to me to use the word "speaking" , as in "Jed Truntree speaking". Which verb is more prevalent in that context nowadays? - "talking" or "speaking"?
I would say "speaking." I don't recall seeing any movies in which someone answered the phone saying, "talking."

I've never heard anyone say "talking"

I would also say "speaking" is more common. "Talking" sounds a little strange.

Or
this is Jed Truntree, or
Jed Truntree here.

What is the difference between "talking" and "speaking" when answering phones?

When answering phones, "talking" is generally used to refer to the act of verbal communication without any specific intention or purpose. It is often used in casual or informal situations. "Speaking", on the other hand, implies a more intentional and purposeful form of communication. It is often used in more formal or professional contexts.

Is it more effective to talk or speak when answering phones?

It depends on the situation and the desired outcome. If you are in a casual or informal setting, talking may be more appropriate. However, in a professional setting, speaking is usually seen as more effective and can convey a sense of competency and professionalism. It is important to adapt your communication style to the situation.

How can I improve my speaking skills when answering phones?

To improve your speaking skills when answering phones, it is important to practice actively listening to the caller and responding with clear and concise language. It can also be helpful to work on your tone and inflection to convey a friendly and professional demeanor. Additionally, being knowledgeable about the subject matter and having good phone etiquette can also improve your speaking skills.

What are some tips for effective phone communication when answering phones?

Some tips for effective phone communication when answering phones include speaking clearly and audibly, actively listening to the caller, using appropriate language and tone, and being attentive to the caller's needs. It is also important to maintain a professional and friendly demeanor, and to handle any unexpected or difficult situations calmly and respectfully.

Do I need to use different communication styles when answering phones for different types of calls?

Yes, it is important to adapt your communication style to the type of call you are answering. For example, a call from a client may require a more formal and professional communication style, while a call from a friend or family member may be more casual. It is important to be aware of the context and adjust accordingly to effectively communicate with the caller.