ANSYS: What are vibrating feeder's boundary conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up boundary conditions and performing modal analysis for a vibrating feeder model in ANSYS. There is a question about the appropriate supports to use and whether to include screens in the analysis. The conversation also mentions the possibility of inputting frequency parameters for fatigue analysis.
Butters
I have created such vibrating feeder model on SW but on ANSYS I'm only analyzing the frame.
upload_2015-4-26_22-58-12.png

1)How do I set up boundary conditions, I think I need elastic supports?
2)In modal analysis I have elastic, fixed supports, remote displacement - which should I use and in what directions?
3)Do I perform modal analysis with the screens or without?
4)Is there any way to input frequency parameters and find out fatigue?

Last edited:
Hi Butters,

I would love to help you.
But I don't understand your model. Can you upload more links or videos on what exactly is your "feeder"

RKD89, really the model is not that complicated. It consists of a simple through frame which is supported by 6 leaf springs at the bottom. Inside the through we have 4 waved plates (for transferred material alignment) which are fixed by the sides to the walls of the frame. The serrated plates are positioned in a way that each one is lower than the previous one creating down sloping steps.

model1.png

1. What is the purpose of setting boundary conditions in ANSYS for vibrating feeders?

Boundary conditions in ANSYS are used to define the constraints and loads applied to a vibrating feeder model. These conditions help simulate the real-world environment and ensure accurate results.

2. What are some common boundary conditions used for vibrating feeders in ANSYS?

Some common boundary conditions for vibrating feeders in ANSYS include fixed supports, roller supports, point loads, and distributed loads. These conditions can be applied to different parts of the feeder to simulate various scenarios.

3. Can boundary conditions be changed during the analysis process in ANSYS?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed during the analysis process in ANSYS. This allows for the simulation of different operating conditions and their effects on the vibrating feeder.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the results of a vibrating feeder analysis in ANSYS?

Boundary conditions play a critical role in determining the behavior and performance of a vibrating feeder in ANSYS. The type and magnitude of the applied loads and constraints can significantly impact the results, and it is crucial to choose appropriate conditions to obtain accurate results.

5. Are there any best practices for setting boundary conditions in ANSYS for vibrating feeders?

Yes, there are some best practices for setting boundary conditions in ANSYS for vibrating feeders. These include thoroughly understanding the system and its behavior, using realistic and relevant loads and constraints, and validating the results with experimental data. It is also essential to consider the effect of the boundary conditions on the overall accuracy and convergence of the analysis.