Antibiotics for use in culture media?

• Thread starter Spirochete
  • Start date
In summary: Ampicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that can kill both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Spirochete
I have a couple questions about using antibiotics in culture media to prevent contamination while growing protozoa:

1) Where would be a good place to look for cheap generic antibiotics to use for this purpose?

2) I'm looking for an antibiotic that kills most gram negatives but has no effect on eukaryotic mitochondria. This rules out kanamycin and other aminoglycosides because they act on the 16S ribosomal subunit which is present in mitochondria. If it kills gram positives too that's great. I also value cheapness.

Biology news on Phys.org
I would start with a literature search on selective media used for you particular protozoan?

In my research, I've used selective media for a particular fungus Macrophomina phaseolina, To eliminate bacteria, this included acidification and the aminoglycoside, streptomycin. Evidently protein synthesis of Macrophomina is not disrupted by this class of antibiotic. I don't recall where I ordered the streptomycin. If this is for educational research, you may be able to get a discount by ordering directly from the manufacturer.

Anything targeting the bacterial cell wall should do fine. Like e.g. ampicillin.

Spirochete said:
I have a couple questions about using antibiotics in culture media to prevent contamination while growing protozoa:

1) Where would be a good place to look for cheap generic antibiotics to use for this purpose?

2) I'm looking for an antibiotic that kills most gram negatives but has no effect on eukaryotic mitochondria. This rules out kanamycin and other aminoglycosides because they act on the 16S ribosomal subunit which is present in mitochondria. If it kills gram positives too that's great. I also value cheapness.

I agree with Monique- check Invitrogen's website. They have a lot of tutorial information available.

I use ampicillin (resistance) to select out transfected bacteria, which may work for you as well.

1. What are antibiotics for use in culture media?

Antibiotics for use in culture media are substances that are added to culture media, which is a mixture of nutrients for growing microorganisms, to prevent the growth of unwanted bacteria or fungi. These antibiotics are typically produced by microorganisms themselves and have the ability to inhibit the growth of other microorganisms.

2. What is the purpose of using antibiotics in culture media?

The purpose of using antibiotics in culture media is to create a selective environment for the growth of specific microorganisms. By inhibiting the growth of unwanted bacteria or fungi, antibiotics allow for the isolation and growth of the desired microorganism.

3. What types of antibiotics are commonly used in culture media?

Commonly used antibiotics in culture media include penicillin, streptomycin, and tetracycline. These antibiotics have a broad-spectrum of activity and are effective against a wide range of bacteria and fungi.

4. Are there any risks associated with using antibiotics in culture media?

Yes, there are some risks associated with using antibiotics in culture media. Overuse or misuse of antibiotics can lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which can be harmful to both humans and the environment. It is important to use antibiotics in culture media responsibly and in appropriate concentrations.

5. Can antibiotics in culture media affect the results of experiments?

Yes, the use of antibiotics in culture media can affect the results of experiments. If the concentration of antibiotics is too high, it can inhibit the growth of the desired microorganism, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, if antibiotics are not properly stored or handled, they may lose their potency and affect the growth of microorganisms in culture media.