Antimatter decay rate in a book?

In summary, according to this article, scientists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center discovered a process that destroys antimatter faster than matter - which is why there's not as much of it around as there should be. There's still a lot of debate around this theory, but it's one possible explanation for why there's not as much antimatter as matter in the universe.
morganhondam
I read a book in which it proposed that anti-matter "decayed" faster than matter, right after the big bang, which is why there isn't an around. Unfortunately, I've forgotten exactly what the writer meant, and who it was...

Can someone tell me who the writer was, and in what book it was written (I'm thinking Stephen Hawking or Bill Bryson)?

Can someone also explain to me the logic behind it, and if there is any evidence for it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The logic behind it is simple. The universe essentially is made up of matter (not counting dark matter and dark energy, which are different altogether). At the big bang, theory says there should be equal amounts of matter and antimatter. The question (still unanswered) is - what happened to the antimatter?

welcome to pf!

hi morganhondam! welcome to pf! :smile:
morganhondam said:
I read a book in which it proposed that anti-matter "decayed" faster than matter …

there's a 2004 new scientist article (preview at http://www.newscientist.com/article...heart-of-the-big-bangs-antimatter-puzzle.html) which says …
"The discovery of a rare process that destroys antimatter faster than matter hints at an answer to the mystery.

The effect was uncovered during an experiment called BaBar at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in Menlo Park, California. Researchers found a massive difference in the decay rate of two types of fundamental particles, the bottom quark and its antimatter equivalent, the anti-bottom quark."​

but there doesn't appear to be anything on the BaBar website (http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/babar/default.aspx) confirming a connection with the big bang :redface:

The imbalance between matter and anti-matter is still being debated. All of the suggested mechanisms remain purely theoretical.

While asymmetries between matter and antimatter were found (look for "CP violation"), the observed differences are too small to explain the current amount of matter. The LHCb detector is designed to look for CP violation.

1. What is antimatter decay rate?

Antimatter decay rate refers to the rate at which particles of antimatter decay or disintegrate into other particles through various processes, such as annihilation or radioactive decay.

2. How is the antimatter decay rate measured?

The antimatter decay rate is typically measured using a device called a particle detector, which can detect the particles produced by the decay of antimatter. The rate is then calculated by recording the number of decays that occur over a certain period of time.

3. What factors affect the antimatter decay rate?

The decay rate of antimatter can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of antimatter particle, the surrounding environment, and the presence of other particles that can interact with the antimatter.

4. Is the antimatter decay rate constant?

No, the antimatter decay rate is not constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as other variables such as temperature and pressure.

5. Why is the study of antimatter decay rate important?

Studying the antimatter decay rate can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us understand the behavior of matter and antimatter in the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and energy production.