Any Archers or people interested in archery history here?

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Whipley Snidelash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    History
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Whipley Snidelash
Messages
66
Reaction score
19
Archery in the United States underwent a radical evolution in the space of about 15 years between 1955 and 1970. It essentially evolved from the primitive sport that it always was into the modern sport it is today. I was there and I saw it. I don’t think it’s really been written about and there probably aren’t too many people still alive who know about it. Would anybody be interested in hearing about it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As I recall, a lot of the popularity stemmed from the abilities of Howard Hill, who was amazing with a bow and arrow and did the trick shots in a lot of movies.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gleem
Whipley Snidelash said:
Archery in the United States underwent a radical evolution in the space of about 15 years between 1955 and 1970.
Was it because of the invention of the compound bow? I don't know if that happened around that time period.

I've hunted all my life, and switched from rifle to compound bow for a number of years. It presents a whole different set of challenges compared to rifle hunting, including learning a lot about camouflage and slow/still hunting. In the end I switched back to rifle because I saw too many wounded deer get away in bow hunting.

One of my best memories was helping my good friend track down his first deer that he got with a bow after many years of trying. I was literally nose-to-the-ground for the better part of an hour finding traces of the track, and finally seeing where the deer had bedded down. That venison had an especially good taste to it. :smile:
 
phinds said:
As I recall, a lot of the popularity stemmed from the abilities of Howard Hill, who was amazing with a bow and arrow and did the trick shots in a lot of movies.
Very cool, thanks for that phinds. I love how he paid his way through college giving archery lessons! :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill

1600370246117.png
 
Yes, I was fascinated by Hill's ability too in the '50s. Some short documentaries were made of his prowess.

When I was in Manchester Connecticut about 25 years ago I had my son take archery lessons at Hall's Archery range. One of the staff instructors was Butch Johnson a five-time Olympic archery team member who won a gold medal in 2000.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and berkeman
I shot in tournaments with Mark Hall many times. His father, Art Hall, was one of the best shooters at that time. And yes compounds were invented at that time I mentioned. The Jennings.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
berkeman said:
Yeah, when I first clicked into the Wikipedia article and saw the picture, I was thinking of the Daniel Boone TV series.
Yep. Me too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
I've been shooting traditional recurves (or 'horsebows') for the past couple of years. I'm rubbish at it and progress is barely noticeable, but it's fun.