Any Archers or people interested in archery history here?

• History
  • Thread starter Whipley Snidelash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, Archery in the United States underwent a radical evolution in the space of about 15 years between 1955 and 1970. It essentially evolved from the primitive sport that it always was into the modern sport it is today. It was due to the invention of the compound bow, which presented a whole different set of challenges compared to rifle hunting. Howard Hill was an amazing archer and did the trick shots in a lot of movies.
Whipley Snidelash
Archery in the United States underwent a radical evolution in the space of about 15 years between 1955 and 1970. It essentially evolved from the primitive sport that it always was into the modern sport it is today. I was there and I saw it. I don’t think it’s really been written about and there probably aren’t too many people still alive who know about it. Would anybody be interested in hearing about it?

Science news on Phys.org
As I recall, a lot of the popularity stemmed from the abilities of Howard Hill, who was amazing with a bow and arrow and did the trick shots in a lot of movies.

Likes gleem
Whipley Snidelash said:
Archery in the United States underwent a radical evolution in the space of about 15 years between 1955 and 1970.
Was it because of the invention of the compound bow? I don't know if that happened around that time period.

I've hunted all my life, and switched from rifle to compound bow for a number of years. It presents a whole different set of challenges compared to rifle hunting, including learning a lot about camouflage and slow/still hunting. In the end I switched back to rifle because I saw too many wounded deer get away in bow hunting.

One of my best memories was helping my good friend track down his first deer that he got with a bow after many years of trying. I was literally nose-to-the-ground for the better part of an hour finding traces of the track, and finally seeing where the deer had bedded down. That venison had an especially good taste to it. :smile:

phinds said:
As I recall, a lot of the popularity stemmed from the abilities of Howard Hill, who was amazing with a bow and arrow and did the trick shots in a lot of movies.
Very cool, thanks for that phinds. I love how he paid his way through college giving archery lessons! :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill

1600370246117.png

Yes, I was fascinated by Hill's ability too in the '50s. Some short documentaries were made of his prowess.

When I was in Manchester Connecticut about 25 years ago I had my son take archery lessons at Hall's Archery range. One of the staff instructors was Butch Johnson a five-time Olympic archery team member who won a gold medal in 2000.

• Love
Likes Astronuc and berkeman
I shot in tournaments with Mark Hall many times. His father, Art Hall, was one of the best shooters at that time. And yes compounds were invented at that time I mentioned. The Jennings.

Likes berkeman
Likes Astronuc and phinds
berkeman said:
Yeah, when I first clicked into the Wikipedia article and saw the picture, I was thinking of the Daniel Boone TV series.
Yep. Me too.

Likes berkeman
I've been shooting traditional recurves (or 'horsebows') for the past couple of years. I'm rubbish at it and progress is barely noticeable, but it's fun.

1. What is the history of archery?

The history of archery dates back thousands of years, with the earliest evidence of bows and arrows found in ancient civilizations such as Egypt, China, and Greece. Archery was used for hunting and warfare, and it has also been a popular sport throughout history. The use of archery has evolved over time, with advancements in technology and changes in its purpose.

2. How has archery evolved over time?

Archery has evolved significantly over time, with advancements in technology and changes in its purpose. In ancient times, bows and arrows were made from natural materials such as wood, bone, and animal sinew. Today, archery equipment is made from modern materials such as carbon fiber and aluminum. Archery has also transitioned from a tool for hunting and warfare to a popular recreational and competitive sport.

3. Who were some famous archers in history?

There have been many famous archers throughout history, including legendary figures such as Robin Hood and William Tell. In more recent times, famous archers include Howard Hill, who was known for his trick shooting and starred in several Hollywood films, and Darrell Pace, who won three Olympic gold medals in archery.

4. What are some important events in archery history?

One of the most significant events in archery history was the invention of the composite bow, which revolutionized archery and was used by many ancient civilizations. Another important event was the establishment of the National Archery Association in the United States in 1879, which helped promote and organize the sport. In modern times, the inclusion of archery in the Olympic Games has also been a significant event for the sport.

5. How has archery influenced other aspects of culture?

Archery has had a significant impact on various aspects of culture, including art, literature, and film. Many famous works of art depict archers, and archery has been a popular subject in literature, such as in the stories of Robin Hood and the Greek epic, The Odyssey. Archery has also been featured in many films, from historical dramas to fantasy and science fiction movies.