Any good way to determine coplanarity among 4 points?

• Thread starter MRT
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with implementing a method on a computer. The method involves choosing an origin point and finding the scalar triple product to determine coplanarity. However, this method requires 3D information, and the person is working with 2D images. They are looking for alternative ways to determine coplanarity, such as using invariants, but are having trouble understanding the concept. They eventually reveal that their goal is to find the homography matrix for a ground plane in order to build a navigation map using a single camera. Other participants suggest using two cameras or finding objects of known size and orientation in the image to aid in determining depth perception. The conversation ends with the person being directed towards resources for understanding
MRT
Hi,

Can someone suggest a method? I need to implement it on computer.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Choose one point as an origin. Form three displacement vectors from that point. Calculate the scalar triple product (the determinant in 3d). Coplanar if zero.

Hi robphy,
thanks for ur help. But the problem is that I'm working with 2-d images. So there is no 3D information.

is there any other way of determining coplanarity?
I read something about using invariants but i have great difficulty understanding the paper. The link is here below:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~nep/research/iros01.pdf
under section 2.2.

If someone can explain to me how to determine the point k, j, i,l in that section, i will really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
MRT said:
Hi robphy,
thanks for ur help. But the problem is that I'm working with 2-d images. So there is no 3D information.
Perhaps it would help if you would tell us what in the world you mean by "coplanarity" in 2d?? If you have no 3D information then there is no way to determine 3D properties.

Sorry for not giving a clear idea of my problem.

The problem is as follows:

I have a 2D image of a scene. I classify the scene as ground plane and non-ground plane. I have 4 points lying on these ground plane. For each point, there will be a value (x, y), with x and y representing its pixel location.

Is there a way to determine if these 4 points lie on the same plane with just this 2-D information?

Thanks in advance again!

You can't do that. 2d representations of 3d are missing information - specifically the "z" coordinate, if you chose {x,y,z} for your system.

You're obviously writing graphics code. Rather than stating it the way you did, what are you really trying to do? ie., what is your goal?

I'm actually trying to find the homography matrix H for the ground plane. I need this matrix H to classify non-ground and ground pixels. The eventual goal is to build a navigation map based on camera capture of the surrounding environment.
:smile:

Last edited:
I suggest using two cameras at two locations to provide two images of the same scene.

sorry. i forgot one more constraint. I'm working with only one camera. :)

Then you don't have any depth perception.

MRT said:
sorry. i forgot one more constraint. I'm working with only one camera. :)

Can you take two pictures with the same camera from two different points? Otherwise, unless you have objects of known size, position and orientation in your single picture, you are out of luck! :)

1. How do you define coplanarity among 4 points?

Coplanarity refers to the property of four points lying in the same plane. In other words, all four points can be connected by a single flat surface without any of the points being above or below that surface.

2. What is the importance of determining coplanarity among 4 points?

Determining coplanarity is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as geometry, computer graphics, and structural analysis. It allows us to understand the relationships and orientations of points, lines, and planes in a three-dimensional space.

3. What are some methods for determining coplanarity among 4 points?

One method is to use the cross product of two vectors formed by the points. If the cross product is equal to zero, then the points are coplanar. Another method is to use the equation of a plane and plug in the coordinates of the four points. If the equation holds true for all four points, then they are coplanar.

4. Can coplanarity be determined if more than 4 points are given?

No, coplanarity can only be determined among four points. If more than four points are given, we can still use the methods mentioned above to check for coplanarity among any four of those points.

5. Are there any practical applications of determining coplanarity among 4 points?

Yes, coplanarity is used in various real-world scenarios, such as determining the orientation of an aircraft or analyzing the stability of a building's structure. It is also important in computer graphics for creating 3D models and animations.