Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good way to determine coplanarity among 4 points?

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1

MRT

Hi,

Can someone suggest a method? I need to implement it on computer.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Choose one point as an origin. Form three displacement vectors from that point. Calculate the scalar triple product (the determinant in 3d). Coplanar if zero.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

MRT

Hi robphy,
    thanks for ur help. But the problem is that i'm working with 2-d images. So there is no 3D information.

is there any other way of determining coplanarity?
    I read something about using invariants but i have great difficulty understanding the paper. The link is here below:
    http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~nep/research/iros01.pdf
    under section 2.2.

If someone can explain to me how to determine the point k, j, i,l in that section, i will really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps it would help if you would tell us what in the world you mean by "coplanarity" in 2d?? If you have no 3D information then there is no way to determine 3D properties.

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5

MRT

Sorry for not giving a clear idea of my problem.

The problem is as follows:

I have a 2D image of a scene. I classify the scene as ground plane and non-ground plane. I have 4 points lying on these ground plane. For each point, there will be a value (x, y), with x and y representing its pixel location.

Is there a way to determine if these 4 points lie on the same plane with just this 2-D information?

Thanks in advance again!!

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't do that. 2d representations of 3d are missing information - specifically the "z" coordinate, if you chose {x,y,z} for your system.

You're obviously writing graphics code. Rather than stating it the way you did, what are you really trying to do? ie., what is your goal?

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7

MRT

I'm actually trying to find the homography matrix H for the ground plane. I need this matrix H to classify non-ground and ground pixels. The eventual goal is to build a navigation map based on camera capture of the surrounding environment.
    :smile:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  9. Dec 9, 2005 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suggest using two cameras at two locations to provide two images of the same scene.

10. Dec 10, 2005 #9

MRT

sorry. i forgot one more constraint. I'm working with only one camera. :)

11. Dec 10, 2005 #10
    Then you don't have any depth perception.

12. Dec 10, 2005 #11

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you take two pictures with the same camera from two different points? Otherwise, unless you have objects of known size, position and orientation in your single picture, you are out of luck! :)

13. Dec 10, 2005 #12

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?