1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Non-Coplanar Hexahedron

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to calculate the volume of a hexahedron. I know how to do this for any arbitrary hexahedron as long as the 4 points of each face are coplanar (by using shape functions to calculate the Jacobian in a parametric space or using 5 tetrahedrons). However, the catch is that two of the faces are not coplanar. Two of the faces opposite of each other are not coplanar while the 4 surrounding sides are. If it is MUCH easier to do this computation with only one side non-coplanar, then I'd still be interested in that as well.

I know the location of all 8 vertices, but I can't figure out how to get the area of the non-coplanar hexahedron.

The non-coplanar surfaces would be doubly ruled surfaces as the one shown below:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Hyperbolic-paraboloid.svg" [Broken]

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2010 #2
    hm...I've found the solution. For anyone that stumbles upon this in the future...

The Jacobian DOES work, even for those non-coplanar faces. My mistake was that I was integrating the Jacobian evaluated at the center of the parametric element. For a 2D element using the shape functions I use, this works. But for a 3D element, this does not work. I now get the correct answer.

-Scott

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook