1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Any Great Linear Algebra Books for First-Time Learners?

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    What are the best ones and why for a first-timer like myself (doing self-study)?

Thanks very much everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    What is your background and why do you want to learn linear algebra? If you post this information, it will be easier for us to recommend some appropriate ones.

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i recommend elementary linear algebra by paul shields.

5. Sep 22, 2016 #4
    For mathematics students, I really like Treil's Linear Algebra done wrong (LADW). It covers more than your usual introduction to linear algebra (and it's free!). A somewhat easier introduction that is still very good is Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra. His explanations are very lucid and the transition from analytical geometry to linear algebra is very natural in my opinion. If you're more into applications or engineering, Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications is my favourite. Note that this is only my preference, you should always take a look at the books yourself before buying them.

6. Sep 22, 2016 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i also lik treil and lang, but i think shields is easier and a better intro for noobies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted