Any idea which way is best to learn physics?

In summary, the best way to learn physics and pass classes is to dedicate time to studying the material and completing homework problems. There is no easy way to learn such a vast amount of knowledge, but putting in effort will result in a better understanding. It is recommended to read the textbook and do practice problems without solutions, taking breaks in between to allow for better comprehension. Additionally, reaching out to the professor for conceptual questions is recommended. Ultimately, understanding and completing homework problems is crucial for success in physics classes.
Mysticcal
Im a computer science major and my major requires me to take 2 semesters of physics with calculus, anyone know the best way to get around studying the material and passing the classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to learn physics is to study the material and do all of the homework problem. Sorry man there is no easy way to learn 400 yrs worth of the accumulated knowledge of the most intelligent men known to our civilization. It is not easy, but the more you put into the more you will get out.

You can sort of coast through EP I, but there's really no alternative to studying and homework in EP II. That was the hardest class I've taken in my undergrad experience simply because of the sheer amount of content that's covered. In a circuits class, you just cover circuits, in an EM class you just cover EM, in EP II you cover everything and at a breakneck pace.

Read the book. Whatever the textbook is for the class, make sure you read it. It will be the mostly dry, and it will have hand waiving at equations...but I have found for both myself and my students, that actually forcing yourself to read the textbook with the lecture notes will make the concepts much easier to deal with that first time around.

Also, do at least a couple problems without solutions in the text. Then step away, watch t.v., play a game, read another book, something else than physics, then come back and do the same problem over. If you are getting consistant results, and you can follow your logic, it is likely you have the right solution.

And Email your professor with conceptual questions! Do not ask for the answer to such and such, its your job to figure it out, it is his/her job to point you in the right direction.

do whatever it takes to understand all of your homework problems.

1. What is the most effective way to learn physics?

The most effective way to learn physics is to have a combination of theoretical and practical learning. This means understanding the concepts and theories through textbooks and lectures, but also applying them through experiments and problem-solving exercises.

2. Should I learn physics through self-study or in a classroom setting?

This depends on your learning style and preferences. Some people may find self-study more effective as it allows them to go at their own pace and focus on specific topics. Others may benefit from a classroom setting where they can interact with classmates and receive guidance from a teacher.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is important for understanding physics, as many concepts and equations in physics are based on mathematical principles. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills and learn physics.

4. Should I focus on memorization or understanding in physics?

Understanding is more important than memorization in physics. It is crucial to grasp the underlying concepts and principles in order to apply them to different situations. Memorization may help in the short term, but true understanding will benefit you in the long run.

5. How can I make learning physics more enjoyable?

Making learning physics more enjoyable can involve finding ways to connect the concepts to real-life examples and applications, using visual aids such as diagrams and videos, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or in a group and to seek out hands-on activities and experiments.