Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any models that can predict nuclear reactions?

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    Are there any good models, software or codes that can predict the probabilities of nuclear reactions where an atom of a given type strikes another atom of another type with a given energy? Or is this information only obtainable experimentally?

To further clarify, I am interested determining the ways that a given isotope can be produced including neutron, proton, gamma rays of various energies. This is for a computer game so even a model that is somewhat off could still be used as a representation of reality in the game as long as it seemed realistic.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a very complicated subject. I suggest you google "nucleus nucleus collision".

4. Dec 27, 2015 #3
    Thanks mathman.

I did some research and first came up with MCNP but that is not available to the public but then noticed GEANT4. I had actually compiled and installed GEANT4 a few years ago on a Linux box of with the intent of modeling geometry of a linac. I forgot that it has the ability to simulate nuclear reactions.

Strat-O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook