Any particular word(s), phrase(s), etc. you particularly despise?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mathnomalous
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
194 replies · 20K views
"Any particular word(s), phrase(s), etc. you particularly despise?"

Back to the OP's question. I will make it pithy.

"Whatever..." said with disgust by my family members does it every time for me.

Rhody...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
skeptic2 said:
AC current

ATM machine

Any other faves(?) from the Department of Redundancy Department?
 
jtbell said:
ATM machine

Any other faves(?) from the Department of Redundancy Department?

PIN number?
 
jtbell said:
ATM machine

Any other faves(?) from the Department of Redundancy Department?

I've seen soup de jour of the day, on menus before.
hot-water heater
fall down
HIV virus
 
Do you have low water pressure? (meaning low volumetric flow rate)

Every vote counts.

Every voice should be heard.

**** speaks to ****

narrative
 
Phrak said:
Do you have low water pressure? (meaning low volumetric flow rate)

I've heard many reports about energy usage that talk about saving $$$ per KW.

The other day a comment on TV caught my ear when it was stated that something [I think a mineral] is valuable for its mass and weight.

Einstein said that everything is relative.

Many references to "common sense" are annoying because they are meant as an alternative to an informed opinion.

New and Improved! Does anyone really believe this anymore? Does this mean that the old stuff was crappy? And what are we to think when they bring back the crappy old stuff as "Classic"?
 
I just saw a banner ad for a solar panel that claimed it could save:

"Up to 70% or more"

of my heating fuel costs.

In a weird and unintended way, it's truth in advertising, in that the percentage saved will indeed be "some number."
 
rhody said:
"Whatever..." said with disgust by my family members does it every time for me.

My brothers and I, we used to say "Prove it! When did I do that?!" in response to an accusation of being hypocritical when chastising the other; and the other would always retort with "I don't keep a diary!".
That was annoying, but we all used to do it, and there was always a smug joy in saying "Prove it!", because you would always recall how annoying it was when they used it on a previous occasion.
 
"This is the (insert decade here)!"

Especially when used as justification for some behavior. The turn of the century and new millennium changed it though. Now its,

"This is two thousand and (insert year here)!"
 
collinsmark said:
So I use the term myself, since there isn't a better term that I'm aware of that conveys a more concise meaning.
'Static component' is not uncommon in the literature.
 
Chi Meson said:
Up to 70% or more
Free stuff that you have to buy. Like free kitten with purchase of house. How is that any different from free house with purchase of kitten? Despicable language in advertising could use a thread of its own.
 
HeLiXe said:
"This is the (insert decade here)!"

Especially when used as justification for some behavior. The turn of the century and new millennium changed it though. Now its,

"This is two thousand and (insert year here)!"

OK, guilty. I use this one when at stores and restaurants where they don't take debit.

"Your manager does know this is the 21st century, right?"

I see it as a sign that I'm trying to give them money and they say 'no thanks'.
 
DaveC426913 said:
OK, guilty. I use this one when at stores and restaurants where they don't take debit.

"Your manager does know this is the 21st century, right?"

I see it as a sign that I'm trying to give them money and they say 'no thanks'.

Well...this is not really annoying, in this case the time corresponds to technological advancement appropriately. It annoys me when it's used like:

"You don't want to (insert illicit behavior here)!? Come ON, it's two thousand and ten."

:confused: WTH has one got to do with the other?
 
Another one I got yesterday. When you ask someone what time it is and they say "ten after".
What is this, Ancient Rome?
Don't make me guess, just tell me the time!
 
Bump, for my most hated one of all.

"You're not thinking enough into it"
OR
"You're thinking too much into it"

They seem to be interchangeable.