I'd seen that a lot of the internet but it never really got to me because it's just the internet, but I noticed "should of" or "could of" all through No Country for Old Men. You'd think the editor would of caught it.
They may have been saying should've and could've. I don't think they're proper contractions of should have and would have, though.
There is a large family-owned jewelry chain in this state, and the patriarch prides himself on being the voice behind their ads. The problem is that he pronounces jewelry as joolery every single time. Clueless old fart. He brags about buying diamonds in Antwerp, when De Beers clearly wouldn't let him do any such thing, and after he claims to have an inside deal on diamonds, he has to throw in joolery again. What a maroon!
When I say jewelry, I only say it in two syllables. I suppose it's supposed to be 2 syllables for the "jewel" and one syllable for the "ry", for a total of 3 syllables.
But I noticed you spelled it "joolery" instead of "jewlery", which would have the same sound.
People did that when George Bush's wife said Karina instead of Katrina. People went nuts over that, like she's so detached from what's going on that she didn't even know what the hurricane's name was.
They were saying she said "carrina" or "corina". She only missed one letter, but they spelled what she said completely different than Katrina with a missing T.
Now, I'm not saying you spelled it that way to make it seem like he's pronouncing it that much more incorrectly... actually yes, that's what I'm saying. But I don't think you did it on purpose.
I hate it when people say, "Do you not agree?" Or any other question that uses not in the middle. I never know how to answer...
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
I mean if the first syllable were pronounced "zoo" it would make the whole word zoo-logy; not zo-ology.
The thing that makes me cringe is when I hear this incorrect pronunciations on TV and in the movies by the characters themselves who are supposed to be zoologists. Do real life zoologists spend much of their time cringing when in public or when watching movies/TV?
That's a good one that I used to be guilty of. When I was a kid, I used to play a card game called Magic the Gathering. There's a card of a guy named the Zoologist. I always called him the Zoo-ologist. I didn't know about the field of study called zoology, so I thought it was just a made-up word for the game. He had animals surrounding him and he could summon animals as his ability. And of course the word "zoo" indicates animals, so I stuck them together.
But how did I not notice there wasn't a 3rd "o" in the word to make the -ologist? I don't know.