Any RF/Microwave Engineers here?

• Thread starter BryanP
  • Start date
In summary: I am currently doing analog design and simulation. I work a lot with RF, but I also do a lot of digital design as well. I have not found it to be a difficult job as long as you are good at multitasking and have a passion for RF. RF engineering is a very rewarding career.
BryanP
I'm thinking about applying to an RF Engineering position at Northrop-Grumman, but I want to know the "day" of any RF engineers here.

What do you do?

How would you rate your average load of work (low,medium,high)?

How do you feel about your job (happy, stressed out/negative, thinking about leaving)?

Any other information would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm working on to be a RF/microwave engineer. I've talked with many of them, and one thing they share in common is the addiction. There is something about RF that draws certain people to the field. Workload I suppose is like any other I suppose. Companies come up with absurd deadlines, but the designs get completed five months after anyways. Many are hams too.

Thanks for the information waht.

Any other inputs?

I work with them daily. I do some RF work, but not too much.

Believe it or not, you will not be doing RF all the time while employed at any defense company. There is so much extra BS that has to be done (paperwork, documents, addressing system problems, etc) that if you truly wanted a RF position, you'd have to be one that's really really good at it. Only a handful or small amount get to do RF.

I work at a larger defense contractor in the RF group and not all do RF. Most of the RF guys are a little bit older. They seem to like their job? I can't tell. But, even if they hated it, they probably couldn't quit because of their families and trouble of relocating at their age.

On the other hand, I know it's a very rewarding career because my manager is a RF guy and as been ever since he graduated. How many RF guys can you find versus digital designers?

Nice thread. I plan on getting into RF/Microwave engineering as a depth in my EEE program.

I was an RF Systems Engineer in the past and all I was doing was analyzing a spreadsheet all day. It was hell!

I'm studying to be RF/Microwave engneering

1. What is the role of an RF/Microwave Engineer?

An RF/Microwave Engineer designs, develops, and tests components and systems that use radio frequency (RF) and microwave signals. This can include designing antennas, amplifiers, and other RF/microwave circuits for communication systems, radar systems, and other applications.

2. What skills are necessary for a career as an RF/Microwave Engineer?

To be successful as an RF/Microwave Engineer, one should have a strong background in electrical engineering, including knowledge of electromagnetics, circuit design, and signal processing. Additionally, skills in computer-aided design (CAD) software, problem-solving, and project management are important.

3. What industries hire RF/Microwave Engineers?

RF/Microwave Engineers are in demand in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, aerospace and defense, medical technology, and consumer electronics. Any field that requires the use of wireless communication or radar systems will likely have a need for RF/Microwave Engineers.

4. What is the difference between RF and microwave engineering?

RF (radio frequency) engineering and microwave engineering are closely related fields, with a focus on the design and development of systems and devices that use electromagnetic waves for communication. The main difference lies in the frequency range that each field deals with. RF engineering typically deals with frequencies up to 300 GHz, while microwave engineering focuses on higher frequencies, ranging from 300 MHz to 300 GHz.

5. How can I become an RF/Microwave Engineer?

To become an RF/Microwave Engineer, one should have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree, especially for more specialized positions. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or co-op programs and obtaining certifications in relevant software or technologies can also be beneficial for a career as an RF/Microwave Engineer.