1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any thoughts on Oak Ridge Laboratories?

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    I'm thinking about UT-Knoxville, and I've been doing some research on Oak Ridge. I'm wondering if anyone has some opinions about the place.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oak Ridge, like Los Alamos, has a considerable DoD research and so, a tighter security background check.

The Spallation Neutron Source is being built and scheduled to start soon. So if you're into condensed matter and want to do neutron scattering studies of material, this would be THE place to be in a few years.

Zz.

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3

In the case of Los Alamos, major security background checks are only done when the work you're doing requires clearance. Even in my division (where most people are doing DoD work) students doing unclassified work who don't need clearance do not have to go through security background checks (even including foreign nationals). Of course, we're not even allowed in the building where the rest of our division has their offices though.

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't mean the extensive security check. I mean your "regular" checks are still more extensive than someone wanting to work or visit Argonne, for example. We had foreign nationals (from none sensitive countries) having to apply almost 3 months in advance just to visit Los Alamos for a day in the civilian area. Here at Argonne, we barely require 3 weeks for the same case.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?