Airbag as Explosion Protection - Any Thoughts?

• Thread starter jhe1984
  • Start date
In summary, an airbag may not be able to prevent an explosion completely, but it may be able to divert the blast and pressure waves enough to make a difference. If you can detect the approaching explosive debris or shock front ahead of time, and then gently accelerate your counter-mass to an equivalent velocity, you can safely prevent damage.
jhe1984
I was wondering if a modified airbag could serve as a lessener to an explosion?

If you were trying to protect a safe from an explosion, could an airbag correctly "shaped" divert the initial blast and pressure waves enough to make any difference? would the location of the blast play a decisive role?

I realize that the inflation system is itself built using explosive components, so I'm not sure if this idea would make the situation better or worse...

Any thoughts??

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have some matter flying at you at some enormous velocity (let's say gas and shrapnel), it carries momentum.

If you can manage to accelerate an equal weight of matter to an equivalent velocity, in the opposite direction so that it collides with the incoming matter, the momenta of both would cancel and you would "divert" the incoming explosion.

If you can detect the approaching explosive debris or shock front ahead of time, and then gently accelerate your counter-mass to an equivalent velocity, you can safely prevent damage.

Instead of being hit with shrapnel and suffering a very large force over a very small time, you're using another controlled explosion to accelerate counter-mass with a milder force spread over a longer time. This milder force may be "survivable."

- Warren

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. One of my concerns was that if the airbag failed to deploy, the inflationary fuel would only make matters much worse. But I am not sure that the airbag inflator is big enough to make much of a difference. Thanks!

Some tanks use active armor - a bomb that explodes outward meets with a shell that is inbound, taking away its momentum. Same idea.

Like Russ mentioned, the "active armor" is used on many of the best tanks.

http://www.defense-update.com/features/du-1-04/feature-armor-protection.htm

and the next page at the bottom of that page:

http://www.defense-update.com/features/du-1-04/reactive-armor.htm

It seems the explosive is of most benefit to disrupt shaped charges (like a bazooka or panzer-faust) where the warhead is shaped to focus the hot gases into a stream that melts right through inches of steel armor.

With kinetic energy shrapnel though, not much can really be done aside from sheer thickness. In space, a flec of paint traveling at 25,000MPH is going to penetrate about anything man-made with ease. A loose bolt that fell off an old spacecraft is even more scary. So a self-sealing spacecraft that can stop the airleak after the projectile makes it through is a secondary defense to a primary projectile that is best avoided.

Awesome - except for the space thing, that seems a little troubling :eek: . The reactive armor designs really seem like they're designed to provide a higher survivability rate, but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely to allow for much mobility after the explosion (in the case of a mine) to allow the soldiers to get the heck out once they've been hit initially. Thanks for the insights.

Related to Airbag as Explosion Protection - Any Thoughts?

1. How does an airbag work as explosion protection?

An airbag works as explosion protection by quickly inflating and creating a cushion between the person and the explosion. The sudden inflation of the airbag absorbs the energy from the explosion, reducing the impact on the person's body.

2. What materials are used to make an airbag for explosion protection?

Airbags for explosion protection are typically made of a strong and flexible fabric, such as nylon or polyester, which can withstand the force of an explosion. They also contain gas generators, sensors, and electronic control units.

3. How is an airbag for explosion protection activated?

An airbag for explosion protection is activated by sensors that detect a sudden increase in pressure or acceleration, indicating an explosion. The sensors then trigger the gas generators, which rapidly inflate the airbag.

4. Can airbags be used for all types of explosions?

No, airbags are designed to provide protection against specific types of explosions, such as those caused by bombs or landmines. They may not be effective against other types of explosions, such as those caused by chemical reactions or fires.

5. Are there any limitations to using airbags as explosion protection?

While airbags can provide effective protection against certain types of explosions, they do have limitations. For example, they may not be able to fully protect against high-speed or close-range explosions. Additionally, the effectiveness of airbags may be reduced if they are not properly installed or maintained.