Any thoughts on natural selection?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a heated discussion between the speaker and their acquaintance about natural selection. The speaker was looking for links to support the concept of natural selection, while their acquaintance did not believe it was real. The conversation ended with a reminder that the forum is dedicated to science and not personal perspectives. The thread was then closed, with an invitation to open a new thread for specific questions.
Thomas McGuigan
I have been in a heated discussion with my acquaintance about natural selection. Anyone who thinks natural selection is a real thing any links would be helpful

Biology news on Phys.org
Thomas McGuigan said:
I have been in a heated discussion with my acquaintance about natural selection. Anyone who thinks natural selection is a real thing any links would be helpful
Are you saying you DON'T think natural selection is a real thing? If that is the case, you are on the wrong forum. This is a science forum, not a religious forum.

phinds said:
Are you saying you DON'T think natural selection is a real thing? If that is the case, you are on the wrong forum. This is a science forum, not a religious forum.
No, my friend does not believe it is real I was trying to get other people's perspectives on natural selection. I know I'm on the right site. I do believe it is real do not assume things.

Last edited:
This is not a question of perspective, and we are not a forum about "perspectives" here, we are a science forum. The Wikipedia article has tons of links on all levels.

I closed the thread.
Feel free to open a thread if you have a specific question.

1. What is natural selection?

Natural selection is the process by which organisms that are better adapted to their environment are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on their advantageous traits to future generations.

2. How does natural selection work?

Natural selection works through the process of variation, heredity, and selection. Variation refers to the differences in traits among individuals of a population, heredity refers to the passing on of traits from parents to offspring, and selection refers to the environment selecting for certain traits that provide an advantage for survival and reproduction.

3. What evidence supports the theory of natural selection?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the theory of natural selection, including observations of natural populations, laboratory experiments, and the fossil record. These pieces of evidence all point to the fact that species change over time and that natural selection is a major mechanism driving this change.

4. Can natural selection occur in humans?

Yes, natural selection can occur in humans just like any other species. However, humans have also evolved the ability to modify their environment and adapt to changing conditions through cultural and technological advancements, making natural selection less of a driving force in human evolution compared to other species.

5. Is natural selection the only mechanism of evolution?

No, natural selection is just one of several mechanisms of evolution. Other mechanisms include genetic drift, gene flow, and mutation. These mechanisms all contribute to the changes in species over time, and the relative importance of each can vary depending on the specific species and environment.