Any Thoughts on Aerospace Engineering Universities

• Schools
  • Thread starter A700
  • Start date
Hi. I plan to major in aerospace engineering after high school. My question in, does it matter where I go for my undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

The in-state public university has an AE program, but isn't accredited by ABET.

I was wondering whether I should stay in state and pay less for tuition, or go out of state to an accredited school but pay more. Would accreditation by ABET matter? Or should I be worrying more about graduate school?

Any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

It MUST be ABET.

If you look at the engineering job boards, you will see the phrase "...degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution..." in many places.

Perhaps there is a reason why someone would voluntarily take an engineering degree from a non-ABET-accredited program, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Go to a school in southern california. All of the aerospace companies are there. It'll make a huge difference to you for summer jobs and at graduation. If that's too far from home, look for an ABET school with a big aerospace employer in town. Another option is to do the first two years at your local non-ABET school and transfer to an ABET school for your last two years. Once you're working, the bigger aerospace companies will have evening graduate programs with tuition reimbursement.