Any Thoughts on Aerospace Engineering Universities

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not it matters where one goes for their undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering. The options discussed are attending an in-state non-ABET accredited program for lower tuition or going out of state to an ABET accredited program for higher tuition. The suggestion is to attend a school in Southern California, where the aerospace industry is prominent, or to transfer to an ABET school for the last two years. Other options mentioned include attending a local non-ABET school and transferring for graduate school, or considering schools in Washington state or Wichita, Kansas where there are also opportunities in the aerospace industry.
A700
Hi. I plan to major in aerospace engineering after high school. My question in, does it matter where I go for my undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering?

The in-state public university has an AE program, but isn't accredited by ABET.

I was wondering whether I should stay in state and pay less for tuition, or go out of state to an accredited school but pay more. Would accreditation by ABET matter? Or should I be worrying more about graduate school?

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It MUST be ABET.

If you look at the engineering job boards, you will see the phrase "...degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution..." in many places.

Perhaps there is a reason why someone would voluntarily take an engineering degree from a non-ABET-accredited program, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Go to a school in southern california. All of the aerospace companies are there. It'll make a huge difference to you for summer jobs and at graduation. If that's too far from home, look for an ABET school with a big aerospace employer in town. Another option is to do the first two years at your local non-ABET school and transfer to an ABET school for your last two years. Once you're working, the bigger aerospace companies will have evening graduate programs with tuition reimbursement.

1. What are the top aerospace engineering universities in the world?

Some of the top aerospace engineering universities in the world include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, and ETH Zurich.

2. How do I choose the right aerospace engineering university for me?

When choosing an aerospace engineering university, consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, facilities, and industry connections. It is also important to consider the location and cost of attending the university.

3. What are some specialized areas within the field of aerospace engineering?

Some specialized areas within aerospace engineering include aerodynamics, propulsion, flight mechanics and control, structures and materials, space systems, and avionics.

4. How important is accreditation when choosing an aerospace engineering university?

Accreditation is crucial when choosing an aerospace engineering university. Accredited programs have met rigorous standards set by professional organizations such as ABET, ensuring that the program meets industry and educational standards.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for graduates of aerospace engineering universities?

Graduates of aerospace engineering universities can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, working for companies such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and SpaceX. They can also work in government agencies such as NASA and the Department of Defense. Other career options include research and development, consulting, and academia.