1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Univeristy offering PhD in Building/Designing/Creating some stuff?

  1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    As of now I have an engineering analysis job. I liked machines always but now I feel that I don't like analysis that much. Little bit of analysis or new analysis is what I may like.
    I am already having a Masters and was considering Phd degree as my next move. To be frank, I now feel that I like creating/designing things (so product design is one choice, I guess). Robotics is another field which has the same ingredients and I have worked a bit in that too..I like solving practical problems (like why is this door jammed or why is my car not starting??!!) instead of just doing an analysis and finding out what the stresses and strains are!!
    I also think that I always want to do different things every now and then..not just sticking to one type of problem or one type of analysis etc..Say I just finished building a water rocket...next I may want to build a small electric vehicle..Of course in designing these things also we need to do some analysis...but every-time for the new problem, I guess I am ok with it!
    So, this is the type of career I want to have. Any ideas what I can do next?
    Are there any universities that offer such kind of courses?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2
    Well, you're not really describing a PhD at all. PhD research has some generality to it—more so than just fixing some particular object—and, in order to achieve a genuine contribution to the sum of human knowledge, requires a degree of focus. In certain fields, it's not unusual for PhD student to do a few loosely connected projects for their thesis, but not something new every few weeks like you seem to be describing. It sounds like you're more interested in being a technician than a PhD student.
  4. Feb 16, 2014 #3
    Are the PHD's in Engineering Technology?
  5. Feb 16, 2014 #4
    I don't know which country you are in, but in the UK they have degrees called EngD - engineering doctorate. They are industry-led and work on specific project within engineering.

    Many Russell group universities are affiliated with EngD programs, so it really depends on which type of project you want to do.
  6. Mar 3, 2014 #5
    Hi all..thanks for your replies...
    What I think is, i am just interested in building/designing things. Like robots, electric vehicles(eg: segway) or some general day to day machine like say an exhaust fan. I also like the troubleshooting challenges that they present while designing. So what I think is Product design/Robotics are the areas where I can do these things.
    Any related courses, universities for Phd?
    Thanks again.
  7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    I think you should reread the previous comments. What you are describing is not really a PhD.
  8. Mar 4, 2014 #7
    Ok, I get it now...
    And thanks all, for your insights...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Univeristy offering Building Date
Curious for your input to accept my graduate school offer May 8, 2017
Ryerson Univeristy Mar 26, 2013
Carleton, McMaster, Toronto univeristy Oct 15, 2011
Univeristy of Western Ontario (Canada) Jun 20, 2011
Calculus For Univeristy Jun 26, 2009