Any Univeristy offering PhD in Building/Designing/Creating some stuff?

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's career interests and their preference for creating and designing things rather than solely focusing on analysis. They mentioned considering a PhD degree in engineering but it was suggested that their interests may align more with a technician or industry-led program. The conversation also touched on universities offering courses related to product design and robotics, with a mention of the UK's EngD program. Ultimately, it was agreed that a PhD may not be the best fit for the individual's interests.
koolraj09
Hi all,
As of now I have an engineering analysis job. I liked machines always but now I feel that I don't like analysis that much. Little bit of analysis or new analysis is what I may like.
I am already having a Masters and was considering Phd degree as my next move. To be frank, I now feel that I like creating/designing things (so product design is one choice, I guess). Robotics is another field which has the same ingredients and I have worked a bit in that too..I like solving practical problems (like why is this door jammed or why is my car not starting??!) instead of just doing an analysis and finding out what the stresses and strains are!
I also think that I always want to do different things every now and then..not just sticking to one type of problem or one type of analysis etc..Say I just finished building a water rocket...next I may want to build a small electric vehicle..Of course in designing these things also we need to do some analysis...but every-time for the new problem, I guess I am ok with it!
So, this is the type of career I want to have. Any ideas what I can do next?
Are there any universities that offer such kind of courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're not really describing a PhD at all. PhD research has some generality to it—more so than just fixing some particular object—and, in order to achieve a genuine contribution to the sum of human knowledge, requires a degree of focus. In certain fields, it's not unusual for PhD student to do a few loosely connected projects for their thesis, but not something new every few weeks like you seem to be describing. It sounds like you're more interested in being a technician than a PhD student.

Are the PHD's in Engineering Technology?

I don't know which country you are in, but in the UK they have degrees called EngD - engineering doctorate. They are industry-led and work on specific project within engineering.

Many Russell group universities are affiliated with EngD programs, so it really depends on which type of project you want to do.

Hi all..thanks for your replies...
What I think is, i am just interested in building/designing things. Like robots, electric vehicles(eg: segway) or some general day to day machine like say an exhaust fan. I also like the troubleshooting challenges that they present while designing. So what I think is Product design/Robotics are the areas where I can do these things.
Any related courses, universities for Phd?
Thanks again.

I think you should reread the previous comments. What you are describing is not really a PhD.

Ok, I get it now...
And thanks all, for your insights...

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Building, Designing, and Creating?

The differences between these fields depend on the specific program and university. However, in general, a PhD in Building focuses on the construction and engineering aspects of creating physical structures, while a PhD in Designing focuses on the creative and aesthetic aspects of designing objects or spaces. A PhD in Creating may encompass a combination of both building and designing, with a focus on innovation and problem-solving.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a PhD in Building/Designing/Creating?

Individuals with a PhD in Building, Designing, or Creating may find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including architecture, engineering, construction, product design, and research and development. They may also pursue academic or teaching positions.

3. What skills are required for a PhD in Building/Designing/Creating?

The specific skills required for a PhD in Building, Designing, or Creating will vary depending on the program, but in general, individuals should have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. They should also have strong research, communication, and project management skills.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Building/Designing/Creating?

The length of a PhD program in Building, Designing, or Creating can vary depending on the university and program. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-7 years to complete a PhD. This time frame includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. Can I pursue a PhD in Building/Designing/Creating with a non-related undergraduate degree?

In most cases, a non-related undergraduate degree will not prevent someone from pursuing a PhD in Building, Designing, or Creating. However, it may require additional coursework or experience to meet the requirements for the program. It is best to consult with the specific university and program for their admissions requirements.