• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Anybody else wish they could do their physics degree again?

I do. I had a good experience the first time around but now (a few years after graduation) I feel like I have so much more clarity and direction. I could dive much deeper into the material and do more research. I wouldn't feel like I'm drowning in formula after formula.

I'm currently working at an engineering company as a tech and applying for a coursework only Masters of ECE. I like my job and the field and the steady paycheck. But I don't think I'm smart enough for a PhD in physics and just the thought of a PhD induces anxiety. It doesn't make sense to quit my job and career to find out if I could make it in a PhD program. Maybe someday in retirement I could get an MS in physics just for my own personal enrichment. But I wish there was more I could do with it now.

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Not me. I mentor a number of undergrad physics majors, some in research projects, others in just an informal advisory capacity. That provides enough of a vicarious experience knowing others benefit from my experiences.

Hang our for a while in PF. Share your experiences. Share what you would do differently. Share how those young minds full of much can become gainfully employed contributors to society.

phyzguy

Science Advisor
You don't have to go back to school to continue learning. Set aside some time each week to read the latest research in the fields that interest you the most. You will gradually add to your store of physics knowledge. You could also buy some physics textbooks and work through them at your own pace.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You don't have to go back to school to continue learning. Set aside some time each week to read the latest research in the fields that interest you the most. You will gradually add to your store of physics knowledge. You could also buy some physics textbooks and work through them at your own pace.
That might not be satisfying. Possible suggestion: Review what you need, and try to return to school for one or two courses which you have not yet taken, either something introductory (maybe unlikely), something upper division, or graduate level. Any lab section connected to course would be great advantage.

I've been going through my old textbooks but im afraid I don't have much time to work any problems. Reading papers is a good idea though. Thanks.