Anybody hear of this Spintronics game/teaching-tool?

• Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
In summary: It looks like a terrible idea that has been executed really well. Analogies are (arguably) useful, but only up to a point. They have gone far beyond that point.
swampwiz
No, it's not THAT Spintronics ...

I must say that I am impressed and might have to add this to my "geek toy" collection:

Likes haushofer and OmCheeto
Science news on Phys.org
It looks like a terrible idea that has been executed really well. Analogies are (arguably) useful, but only up to a point. They have gone far beyond that point.

Likes phinds
pbuk said:
It looks like a terrible idea that has been executed really well. Analogies are (arguably) useful, but only up to a point. They have gone far beyond that point.
Why do you say that? For a damped harmonic oscillator, it's the same differential equation that describes both systems.

Likes swampwiz
vela said:
Why do you say that?
See the purple thing top right in the still from the video? That's an ammeter, connected of course in series. Does it look like it's in series? And the blue thing in the middle at the bottom (which is internally a differential gearbox). That's a junction. Actually it's two junctions: both ends of the "resistor" and "capacitor" connected in parallel.

vela said:
it's the same differential equation that describes both systems.
I think if your aim is to educate people in basic electronics then getting the differential equations right at the expense of serial vs parallel connections is a fail.

Likes phinds
pbuk said:
See the purple thing top right in the still from the video? That's an ammeter, connected of course in series. Does it look like it's in series? And the blue thing in the middle at the bottom (which is internally a differential gearbox). That's a junction. Actually it's two junctions: both ends of the "resistor" and "capacitor" connected in parallel.I think if your aim is to educate people in basic electronics then getting the differential equations right at the expense of serial vs parallel connections is a fail.
I agree that for folks learning this - especially kids - it's a hard leap. And therefore it's use is mostly as a cool geek toy, which is good enough for me. :smile:

vela said:
Why do you say that? For a damped harmonic oscillator, it's the same differential equation that describes both systems.
That's about the only thing it does that does a good job at the analogy.

swampwiz said:
No, it's not THAT Spintronics ...

I must say that I am impressed and might have to add this to my "geek toy" collection:

Sorry, I don't know it at all.

What is Spintronics game/teaching-tool?

Spintronics game/teaching-tool is an interactive educational tool that uses a combination of gaming and teaching techniques to introduce students to the field of spintronics, which involves the study of electron spin and its potential applications in electronics.

How does the Spintronics game/teaching-tool work?

The Spintronics game/teaching-tool uses a virtual environment to engage students in various interactive activities, such as puzzles, quizzes, and simulations, to learn about the principles of spintronics. It also provides real-life examples and case studies to help students understand the practical applications of spintronics.

Who can benefit from using the Spintronics game/teaching-tool?

The Spintronics game/teaching-tool is designed for students at the high school and college levels who are interested in learning about spintronics. It can also be used by educators and researchers as a supplementary tool to enhance their teaching and learning experience.

Is the Spintronics game/teaching-tool scientifically accurate?

Yes, the Spintronics game/teaching-tool is developed by a team of scientists and educators with expertise in the field of spintronics. The content is regularly reviewed and updated to ensure scientific accuracy and relevance.

Can the Spintronics game/teaching-tool be used for self-study?

Yes, the Spintronics game/teaching-tool is designed to be self-paced and self-directed, making it suitable for self-study. However, it is recommended to use the tool in conjunction with other learning materials and resources for a comprehensive understanding of spintronics.