Books on teaching and education

I believe the poster is asking for examples of these factors. For example, a student's background could include their previous education or experience in the subject, their cultural or socioeconomic background, or their learning style. Intellectual capability could refer to their ability to understand complex concepts or their problem-solving skills. Motivation could involve their interest in the subject, their goals for the class, or their desire to learn.In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of teaching and educating, with a focus on how to improve students' attention, interest, and independent studying skills. The importance of a teacher's experience and expertise in the subject matter is highlighted, along with the need for enthusiasm and care for the students. The conversation also touches on the role of a teacher
trees and plants
Hello there. My questions are: do you know of any books you could suggest reading for teaching and how to educate?

How someone can change his teaching styles and what to add to improve students' attention, interest and make them study on their own? Should he speak generally to all the students or sometimes ask specifically some students and see how they are improved as time passes?

I would also want to say that a part of education is the intellectual part, another part is the physical and an other the moral part.What about the physical improvement of the students or their moral improvement, how can he teach them?

What books should he read about those things? Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
I have always thought that the most important factor was to really know what you are talking about. More specifically, the teacher needs to have actually worked with the material, not simply done textbook problems. This requires that the would be teacher get out of academia and go to a lab or industry actually doing the work. It makes a huge difference when you can say, "I've seen ..." vs "the book tells us that ..."

Dr.D said:
I have always thought that the most important factor was to really know what you are talking about. More specifically, the teacher needs to have actually worked with the material, not simply done textbook problems. This requires that the would be teacher get out of academia and go to a lab or industry actually doing the work. It makes a huge difference when you can say, "I've seen ..." vs "the book tells us that ..."
Can the teacher add things other teachers do not at most times when teaching? Is it a bit risky or not? It is different to say someone has seen than the book tells us that, but books perhaps could guide him to try and experiment with methods others have not tried in their teaching. Do you know any examples of those methods specifically?Perhaps the way he talks, the energy he has when teaching or letting the students express themselves on the questions he makes could help?

For students who are not interested in the topics he teaches and do not try on their own, what could he do?

Without a doubt, the energy and enthusiasm a teacher brings to the class room make a lot of difference. For this reason, I have strongly resisted teaching assignments that would have me teaching subjects I either don't like or don't feel competent to teach.
infinitely small said:
For students who are not interested in the topics he teaches and do not try on their own, what could he do?
For these folks, if this condition remains after several discussions between the teacher and the student, then the best solution is to suggest a change of majors.

Are you interested in teaching high school, college, continuing adult education? You also need to know the student's background, intellectual capability, and motivation so the level of the presentation can be adjusted as needed. I might add that you must be also interested in and or care about the student.

gleem said:
Are you interested in teaching high school, college, continuing adult education? You also need to know the student's background, intellectual capability, and motivation so the level of the presentation can be adjusted as needed. I might add that you must be also interested in and or care about the student.
I am not yet a teacher because i have not graduated yet from my university, i am still a student. I do not actually know what kind of students i want to teach, i have not yet figured it out.

As far as student's background, intellectual capability, and motivation are concerned, what specifically you mean with these? Can you give some examples? Because examples can help in this case. I think that the more degree of interest or care someone has about the student the better the results of his teaching will be. Is this correct?

I do not know yet the kind of students i want to teach , but let us suppose that they are high school students. Could you help me in this case?

Dr.D said:
Without a doubt, the energy and enthusiasm a teacher brings to the class room make a lot of difference. For this reason, I have strongly resisted teaching assignments that would have me teaching subjects I either don't like or don't feel competent to teach.

For these folks, if this condition remains after several discussions between the teacher and the student, then the best solution is to suggest a change of majors.
Can you talk specifically about that energy and enthusiasm and the sourse the teacher gets them from?Is it just interest,care for the students, teaching? Does external motivation help more or is it more internal motivation?

Pedagogy
infinitely small said:
I am not yet a teacher because i have not graduated yet from my university, i am still a student. I do not actually know what kind of students i want to teach, i have not yet figured it out.

As far as student's background, intellectual capability, and motivation are concerned, what specifically you mean with these? Can you give some examples? Because examples can help in this case. I think that the more degree of interest or care someone has about the student the better the results of his teaching will be. Is this correct?

I do not know yet the kind of students i want to teach , but let us suppose that they are high school students. Could you help me in this case?
I believe the poster is referring to what level of the material are students supposed to have come into the start of the class, at what level will the material be covered at (rigor), is this a class for actual majors in the field or an elective (ie., physics for life science vs physics for physics majors), how bright are your students. Things like this...

infinitely small said:

Background can refer to a few things like knowledge or exposure to subjects relative to the course you are teaching for example math for a physics course. It can also refer to the student's social environment which may challenge the student's ability to participate in the learning process.

By intellectual capability, I mean the inherent age-dependent ability of the person to grasp certain concepts, particularly for young students.

By motivation, I mean the reason the person is taking a particular course. Is it genuine interest, curiosity, something that must be endured, or was it a mistake to have taken it?

In caring for the student are you providing that which the student needs to be successful and get the most out of the course? You as well as the student need to understand the purpose (objectives) of the course. By caring you also assure you are doing your best to help the student learn.

infinitely small said:
I am not yet a teacher because i have not graduated yet from my university, i am still a student.

So why the question?

If it's to demonstrate that all the teachers you have had are somehow doing it wrong, and that this is the source of your struggles, that's probably not a very useful direction.

If it's to get ahead, I think partt of why you struggle is that you get ahead of yourself. You would be well-served to attend to the here and now.

Vanadium 50 said:
So why the question?

If it's to demonstrate that all the teachers you have had are somehow doing it wrong, and that this is the source of your struggles, that's probably not a very useful direction.

If it's to get ahead, I think partt of why you struggle is that you get ahead of yourself. You would be well-served to attend to the here and now.
I think that if i prepare myself at teaching before becoming a teacher,perhaps it will help, if i become a teacher. I am not allowed to say they were doing it wrong.

infinitely small said:
Can you talk specifically about that energy and enthusiasm and the sourse the teacher gets them from?Is it just interest,care for the students, teaching? Does external motivation help more or is it more internal motivation?

Energy and enthusiasm comes largely from believing that you are doing something useful and important. If you think that the material you are teaching will never be useful, it is impossible to be enthused about teaching it. This is where I would come back to the need to actually go do the work, in industry or an industrial lab. (I would exclude government labs; in my own experience, they are do-nothing operations, just like the rest of the government). When you speak of external motivation, I can't really think of any that would help significantly.

Dr.D said:
(I would exclude government labs; in my own experience, they are do-nothing operations, just like the rest of the government).

I really could not let this go by. My experience is that many government labs are some of the best labs in the world filled with people who put men on the moon, and are currently in the process of tracking disease, despite working with ridiculous political constraints, personal objections (such as the points of view of this earlier reply), and tight budgets. For many years, government labs had some of the most powerful computers in the world. Many experts today ,cut their teeth on the newest equipment that was available to them by government labs. Where else did Grace Hopper encounter the computer bug or Margaret Hamilton develop software for Apollo. Quantum computing, and artificial intelligence, and other disciplines are being investigated today as well.

This is about the kindest reply to Dr. D that I can write. If Dr D had this experience while working at a govt lab, I feel sorry for him. I work with many colleagues in such labs who do not share these experiences, and have had fulfilling careers.

My experience is that many aspiring physicists today should count themselves lucky if in a few years when they graduate, to get an offer from a government lab. Given the strong competition for academic positions, it may be the best option available. Looking down the road, they might even be happier, that an academic position was not in the cards.

One book I liked as a beginning teacher is Teach like a champion". The title is horrible American, but the books all kinds of useful tips and small things to pay attention to which have large effects.

1. What are the best books for new teachers?

The best books for new teachers vary depending on their specific needs and teaching style. However, some popular options include "The First Days of School" by Harry K. Wong, "Teach Like a Champion" by Doug Lemov, and "The New Art and Science of Teaching" by Robert J. Marzano.

2. Are there any books that focus on classroom management?

Yes, there are many books that focus on classroom management techniques. Some popular titles include "The Classroom Management Book" by Harry K. Wong and Rosemary T. Wong, "The Smart Classroom Management Book" by Michael Linsin, and "The Behavior Code" by Jessica Minahan and Nancy Rappaport.

3. Can you recommend books for teaching specific subjects?

There are numerous books on teaching specific subjects, such as "Mathematics for Elementary Teachers" by Sybilla Beckmann, "Teaching Science for All Children" by Ralph Martin, and "Teaching Writing" by Lucy Calkins. It is best to research and find books that align with your particular subject and grade level.

4. What are some books on educational theory and pedagogy?

Some popular books on educational theory and pedagogy include "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Freire, "The Courage to Teach" by Parker J. Palmer, and "Mindset: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol Dweck.

5. Are there any books that address diversity and inclusivity in the classroom?

Yes, there are many books that address diversity and inclusivity in the classroom. Some notable titles include "Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain" by Zaretta Hammond, "The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children" by Gloria Ladson-Billings, and "LGBTQ Voices in Education: Changing the Culture of Schooling" by Veronica E. Bloomfield and Marni E. Fisher.