Anyone care to explain muscle development?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of muscle development and the process behind it. The individual is seeking advice for starting dumbbell exercises to become stronger. They are curious about the science behind muscle development and are advised to do some research before beginning weightlifting to avoid injury. A recommended forum for further information is also mentioned.
Cataclysm
In an attempt to grow stronger (i'm quite feeble to be honest) I've decided to start doing dumbbell excercises.

However, I'm quite curious - what actually causes muscle development? As in the process, what occurs in the body for it to occur, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
Cataclysm said:
In an attempt to grow stronger (i'm quite feeble to be honest) I've decided to start doing dumbbell excercises.

However, I'm quite curious - what actually causes muscle development? As in the process, what occurs in the body for it to occur, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF. Here's an intro article with links out to more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle

Remember to start slowly and take it easy until you learn what weights and lifts work well for you. Yo0 should do some reading about weight training before you start lifting. you can hurt yourself pretty easilyu by lifting incorrectly.

ja, lifting is more dangerous than eating.

anyhoo, this guy's forum is pretty good if you're really into labcoating hypertrophy. but even though he puts a lot of scientific research into it, it doesn't mean his followers get the best results or are even following the most optimal plan.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin/ib314/ikonboard.cgi

1. What is muscle development?

Muscle development, also known as muscle growth or hypertrophy, is the process by which muscle fibers increase in size and strength. It occurs through a combination of increased protein synthesis and muscle cell recruitment.

2. What factors influence muscle development?

Several factors can influence muscle development, including genetics, age, gender, diet, exercise, and hormone levels. Genetics play a significant role in determining an individual's potential for muscle growth, while age and gender can affect the rate of muscle development. A diet high in protein and regular resistance training are essential for optimal muscle growth. Hormones such as testosterone and growth hormone also play a role in muscle development.

3. How does muscle development occur?

Muscle development occurs through a process called hypertrophy, which involves an increase in the size of existing muscle fibers. This process is triggered by mechanical stress on the muscle, such as weightlifting, which causes microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. These tears are then repaired and strengthened, resulting in increased muscle size and strength.

4. Can muscle development be targeted to specific areas of the body?

While it is possible to focus on certain muscle groups in your workouts, it is not possible to target specific areas for muscle development. The body responds to exercise as a whole, and muscle growth occurs throughout the body, not just in one specific location. However, you can adjust your workout routine to emphasize certain muscle groups for overall muscle development.

5. How long does it take to see results in muscle development?

The rate at which an individual will see results in muscle development varies depending on several factors, such as genetics, age, gender, and workout routine. Generally, noticeable changes in muscle size and strength can be seen within 4-8 weeks of consistent resistance training and a proper diet. However, significant muscle development can take months or even years to achieve.