Brain controlling cells individually?

• Medical
  • Thread starter CAllFlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Cells
In summary, the discussion revolves around how the brain controls the body and whether it communicates with individual cells or a large group of cells in the same system. The general consensus is that the brain doesn't need to control each cell individually, but rather recruits motoneurons according to a specific pattern. However, it is possible to control individual motoneurons through biofeedback methods.
CAllFlow
So, this is my first post in the medical science section of the forum. So I was just in the shower and a question occurred to me. When I hear about how the brain controlling the body it's always "the brain tells this group of muscles to do something"...or 'the brains tells this organ system what to do". I was wondering does the brain "speak" to individual cells or collectively to a large group of cells in the same system. Like, when I move my arm does the brain tell my bicep to contract or relax or does it go through each and every cell in my arm and tell it exactly which direction to say contract and how much? I've done some searching through the interwebs and wasn't able to find any information relating to this topic.(And if it's because this is a very basic concept that most people should know then I'm sorry to have wasted your time.)

Any help and/or enlightenment will be greatly appreciated :) TY

Biology news on Phys.org
Usually, the brain doesn't need to control each motoneuron individually. Instead, the motoneurons are recruited according to the http://www.physio.unibe.ch/publikationen/report_Lagrange.pdf" .

However, it's likely possible to control individual motoneuron using an appropriate biofeedback (such as the display of the signal coming from an electrods positionned in one muscle fiber). This is just not the way we usually recruite our muscles' fibers while moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do brain controlling cells individually work?

Brain controlling cells, also known as neurons, communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals. They are connected in a network and when a signal is sent from one neuron, it triggers a response in the next neuron, allowing for communication and control of various bodily functions.

2. Can brain controlling cells be controlled externally?

Currently, there is no way to directly control brain controlling cells externally. However, certain techniques such as transcranial magnetic stimulation and deep brain stimulation can indirectly influence the activity of these cells.

3. Are there different types of brain controlling cells?

Yes, there are several different types of brain controlling cells, including sensory neurons, motor neurons, and interneurons. Each type has a specific function in controlling different aspects of the body and brain.

4. What happens when brain controlling cells are damaged or destroyed?

If a significant number of brain controlling cells are damaged or destroyed, it can lead to various neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and epilepsy. These conditions can affect movement, cognition, and other bodily functions.

5. How can we improve brain controlling cells individually?

Research is ongoing to better understand brain controlling cells and their function, as well as potential ways to improve their health and function. Some strategies being explored include stem cell therapy, gene therapy, and neuroprosthetics.