Anyone explain this Feynman quote?

In summary, Richard Feynman criticized mathematicians for their exclusivity and intimidation tactics. He also expressed his difficulty in understanding economics and his obsession with solving calculus problems in his everyday life. The quote in question was taken from a book about economyths and may refer to statistical studies on economic factors. Feynman's second marriage was unsuccessful and his wife was described as having a potential personality disorder.
pergradus
I was bored last night and look at Wikipedia's article on Feynman when I saw this quote:

...He also slammed the exclusivity of some mathematicians, saying "I have great suspicion that (mathematicians) don't know, that this stuff is wrong, and that they're intimidating people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_feynman#Challenger_disaster (bottom of top paragraph)

Can anyone put this into some context and explain what he was talking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a truly odd place to insert that quote. The source of the quote is a book about economyths and most likely refers to statistical studies correlating some economic factor to another? I don't know, because I haven't read that book, so my interpretation of what it might mean would be biased due to my opinion of statistical correlations (they only help you figure out what questions to ask; not give you answers to your questions).

I find economics to be a lot harder to understand than physics.

The next paragraph in that article is more interesting:

He was married a second time in June 1952, to Mary Louise Bell of Neodesha, Kansas; this marriage was brief and unsuccessful:

He begins working calculus problems in his head as soon as he awakens. He did calculus while driving in his car, while sitting in the living room, and while lying in bed at night.
—Mary Louise Bell divorce complaint[41]p.168

What in the world was wrong her?! Clearly she suffered from some type of personality disorder.

1. What does the Feynman quote mean?

The Feynman quote states, "If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you don't understand it." This means that in order to truly understand a concept, one should be able to explain it in a way that is easily understood by others.

2. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and particle physics. He was also known for his ability to explain complex concepts in simple terms.

3. Why is this quote frequently referenced in science?

This quote is frequently referenced in science because it highlights the importance of truly understanding a concept rather than just memorizing or regurgitating information. It encourages scientists to strive for a deeper understanding and to be able to effectively communicate their ideas to others.

4. How can one apply this quote to their scientific work?

One can apply this quote to their scientific work by constantly striving to understand concepts in a deeper and more comprehensive way. This can be achieved by asking questions, seeking clarification, and being able to explain the concepts to others in simple terms.

5. Is this quote applicable to all fields of science?

Yes, this quote is applicable to all fields of science as it emphasizes the importance of true understanding and effective communication, which are essential in any scientific field.