Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here use Crest Pro Health for that methhead-look that's in now?

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1

SCARY stuff. I've googled the internet and this doesn't seem to be a joke. People everywhere are waking up with brown meth-addict teeth!

Scary thing is I just bought a bottle today and used it... so here's to me not waking up with brown spots on my teeth tomorrow morning :surprised

So what's the deal here? I have trouble believing that a company will leave a product that stains people's teeth on the market for months like this. Does anyone here use it? Anyone have any trouble with it?

Should I throw away the bottle?

Should I jump out my window and run around screaming like a lunatic in my PJ's and wake up all the neighbors?

Basically I have to be up in 5 hours. 'nite (morning?).
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    Ack! I wouldn't use that stuff. Maybe you should talk to the place you bought it from and let them know about this.
  4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    When I was at Target a few weeks ago, I considered trying that stuff out, but ended up going with the classic Listerine - I'm glad I did :smile:

edit... wow, the bad part is that the article was published in early March 2008, and it seems like nothing has gone on since then...
  5. Aug 19, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I notice there seems to be a number of comments about this on the net. And apparently some of it was brought to a head more recently as a result of a Today show from May 8.

Apparently the browning spots may be a result of cetylpyridinium chloride that is the active ingredient in the mouthwash.

Fwiw I did find this note from WebMD that claims the article was reviewed by dentists:
    "Mouth rinses and washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride can also stain teeth."

The anecdotal references to loss of taste for any period of time are noted by a couple of accounts, but I found little to support this outside the few accounts.
  6. Aug 19, 2008 #5
    hmmm I use it, but not daily, maybe twice a week. I've used it for several months without any side effects.
  7. Aug 19, 2008 #6
    I used it daily for several months, with no side effects at all. My husband had the loss of taste, and quit using it.
  8. Aug 19, 2008 #7

Staff: Mentor

I use the toothpaste, I don't like the taste, but I noticed my teeth are whiter.

But I've also broken my arm twice since I started using it!! I'd be very careful!.
  9. Aug 19, 2008 #8
    Crest Pro Health rinse definitely caused a problem for me. When I first checked the Crest web site about a month ago the FAQ suggested using Crest whitening strips. :devil:

Now I can't even get the FAQ page to come up??

A big problem I notice is that the space between the teeth is not being helped by the strips.
  10. Aug 19, 2008 #9
    hm... maybe I'll go back to listerine/scope after all.

:eek: this stuff is more dangerous than I thought!
  11. Aug 19, 2008 #10
    Evo, I wonder if Stannous Fluoride (0.454%) and Sodium Hexametaphosphate somehow promote osteoporosis.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?