Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone know of a good experiment?

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    I'm off school for two weeks, and I'm incredibly bored. And I keep thinking I should do a physics experiment. But the question is, what kind of physics experiment?

Keeping in mind, I live in a VERY small town.

[JOKE]P.S. I asked my parents if I could connect their house to a homemade particle accelerator and they said no.
    And I got arrested for building that nuclear reactor. Although, that was probably because I bought the fissionable materials from terrorists.[/JOKE]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2

sas3

Gold Member

Here is an interesting site for you.
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 10, 2009 #3
    Thanks

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4
    If you know your computers, you can set up a pendulum and use an old roller-ball mouse to measure the oscillations. This can demonstrate SHM, damping, and resonance.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.4319

6. Apr 12, 2009 #5

NWH

One day when it's nice and clear, try and see if you can use a hose or sprinkler to create a rainbow in your garden/outdoors. Takes a bit of knowledge regarding the position of the sun and the angle at which you view the water drops, but if you have the right conditions it can be carried out pretty easilly.

7. Apr 13, 2009 #6
    How about measuring the rate at which water is rises upwards through absorbent materials such as tissues.I know a young lady who did this as her A level physics project and although her teacher initially pooh poohed her choice she ended up getting full marks .She is now a surgeon.

8. Apr 13, 2009 #7
  9. Apr 13, 2009 #8
    Fill a balloon with CO2 gas. Because the speed of sound in CO2 is lower than in air, it acts as a lens for sound. If you hold the ballon against your ear, it amplifies the sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook