Anyone read "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee?

1. In Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law".

My question is, WTH does that heading have to do with anything in the text? Is this just a common expression? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Yes... Zee is somewhat unconventional. I don't know what he refers to either. I googled the phrase and found some partial match with the Judgement of Solomon, but I can't really see how that is relevant.

4. haushofer

haushofer 980
    Science Advisor

Maybe Jona-Lasinio was Schwinger's son in law.

5. nrqed

nrqed 3,074
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is: "Le gendre" in French means "The son-in-law". Since he is talking about Legendre transformations, he made that joke. I only understood because I speak French.

Patrick

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. arivero

arivero 3,011
    Gold Member

Also, it is almost an expression... in Spanish. In this language, "brother-in-law wisdom" refers to the tipical chit-chat conversation in family meetings, such as the ones in Xmas, where usually there is a "brother-in-law", a "cuñado", who pretends to know about everything. Funny coincidence.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  7. haushofer

haushofer 980
    Science Advisor

Fantastic :')

8. In the UK the "mother-in-law" joke is a standard for comedians, the basic idea being that mother-in-law always thinks son-in-law is an idiot. So I would read "wisdom of the son-in-law" as being ironic.

Aren't QFT textbooks hard enough without making obscure jokes? I guess it's all part of the weeding out process...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted