Need help with tensors and group theory

In summary: The author explains how a tensor can be used to represent a rotation, and how it relates to the traditional matrix representation. The conversation also touches on the definition of a representation and how tensors fit into it. Ultimately, the reader is still struggling to fully understand the concept, but has come up with their own explanation for how tensors can be used as a representation of rotations in ##SO(3)##.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
What is the relation between tensors and group SO(3)?
I am reading Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists by A. Zee.

I have big problems when learning chapter IV.1 Tensors and Representations of the Rotation Groups SO(N).

It reads
Mentally arrange the nine objects ##T^{ij}## in a column ##
\begin{pmatrix}
T^{11} \\
T^{12} \\
\vdots \\
T^{33}
\end{pmatrix}
##. The linear transformation on the nine objects can then be represetned by a 9-by-9 matrix ##D\left ( R \right )## acting on this column.

For every rotation, specified by a 3-by-3 matrix R, we can thus associate a 9-by-9 matrix ##D\left ( R \right )## transforming the nine objects ##T^{ij}## linearly among themselves.

The tensor T furnishes a 9-dimensional representation of the rotation group SO(3).

I can understand why ##D\left ( R \right )## is a representation of SO(3), but I hardly can see why the tensor T can be a representation. I thought a representation should be scalar or square matrix, but why a column consisting of tensors can be a representation, as well.

Also, I do not understand why the tensor came in. If I am correct, elements of groups should be some transformations that leave some objects invariant, but I can hardly imagin how tensors become transformations.

I became more frustrated when the following sections are full of tensors, and I got totally lost.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe these two articles can help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/representations-precision-important/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-a-tensor/

I am not sure why the author calls the nine elements, the coordinates of ##SO(3)## a tensor, but of course we need to consider them as vectors if we construct ##GL(so(3)) ##, which is needed for a (linear) representation. And every vector is automatically a tensor.

So to answer your question, we need to know what you didn't have quoted.

Likes JD_PM and troglodyte
fresh_42 said:
Maybe these two articles can help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/representations-precision-important/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-a-tensor/

I am not sure why the author calls the nine elements, the coordinates of ##SO(3)## a tensor, but of course we need to consider them as vectors if we construct ##GL(so(3)) ##, which is needed for a (linear) representation. And every vector is automatically a tensor.

So to answer your question, we need to know what you didn't have quoted.

Thanks, fresh_42.

The rest content is split into two parts.

First, it explains why ##D\left( R \right )## is a representation of ##SO(3)##, i.e., ##D\left ( R_1 R_2 \right )=D\left( R_1 \right ) D\left( R_2 \right )##, which is obvious.

And the second part explains why the statement, that a tensor ##T^{ij}## transforms as if it were equal to the product of two vectors ##V^i W^j##, is wrong. And this part is not important.

Thus, I skip those two parts.

However, I have found a explanation for myself why the tensor ##T## could furnishes a representation. Here it is.

For every element, that is rotation, in ##SO(3)##, it could be associated with a representation ##D\left( R \right )##. Meanwhile, we can find a tensor ##T##, such that an object in this tensor ##T## must be a linear combination of the nine objects in ##T## under the transformation of ##D\left( R \right )##, so ##T = D(R) \cdot T##. Then I could associate a given ##D\left( R \right )## to this tensor ##T##. Thus, I indirectly associate a rotation with a tensor. Then the tensor ##T## could furnishes a representation of ##SO(3)##.

I am not sure whether this explanation is correct or not.

There is a basic problem I have here. If we consider a representation of ##SO(3)##, then we usually speak of a group homomorphism ##SO(3) \longrightarrow GL(V)## with a vector space as representation space ##V##. For a rotation this is normally ##V=\mathbb{R}^3##, the ordinary matrix representation.

Now what are the tensor elements here? ##SO(3)## is no vector space, and neither is ##\operatorname{GL}(V)##. A representation has ##\dim SO(3) \cdot \dim \operatorname{GL}(V)=\dim SO(3)\cdot \dim^2V## many coordinates, which are ##27## in case of ##V=\mathbb{R}^3##, not nine.

To get nine, we consider only one specific element of ##SO(3)##, say the rotation ##R##. Then ##R## maps ##3## coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^3## on ##3## new coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, a matrix which we can arrange as a column. But how is it a vector, and a tensor is a vector? What is ##0## in this vector space?

fresh_42 said:
There is a basic problem I have here. If we consider a representation of ##SO(3)##, then we usually speak of a group homomorphism ##SO(3) \longrightarrow GL(V)## with a vector space as representation space ##V##. For a rotation this is normally ##V=\mathbb{R}^3##, the ordinary matrix representation.

Now what are the tensor elements here? ##SO(3)## is no vector space, and neither is ##\operatorname{GL}(V)##. A representation has ##\dim SO(3) \cdot \dim \operatorname{GL}(V)=\dim SO(3)\cdot \dim^2V## many coordinates, which are ##27## in case of ##V=\mathbb{R}^3##, not nine.

To get nine, we consider only one specific element of ##SO(3)##, say the rotation ##R##. Then ##R## maps ##3## coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^3## on ##3## new coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, a matrix which we can arrange as a column. But how is it a vector, and a tensor is a vector? What is ##0## in this vector space?

Hi, fresh_42. The book I read go through another way.

For a 2-indixed tensor, whose indices can choose from 1 to 3 for SO(3), there would be 9 objects. But, these 9 objects are not all independent. That means the tensor furnishes a reducible representation. We can decompose the 9 objects into a 5-dimensional irreducible representation, a 3-dimensional irreducible representation, and a 1-dimensional irreducible representation.

It seems that the author chose not to represent SO(3) in a linear space but in a abstract tensor space.

I am still confusing, but I am getting to understand it.

Thanks!

fresh_42 said:
This sounds as if the author is heading to Young tableaus.

Oh, yes! The Young tableaux is introduced shortly. But the author does not talk a lot about it, just mentions that physicists do not concern it.

1. What are tensors and group theory?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different coordinate systems in a space. Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are sets of elements that can be combined together in a specific way.

2. Why are tensors and group theory important in science?

Tensors and group theory are important in science because they provide a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and describing physical phenomena. They are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How are tensors and group theory related?

Tensors and group theory are closely related because tensors can be used to represent the symmetry properties of groups. This allows for a more efficient and elegant way of describing physical systems and their symmetries.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors and group theory?

Some real-world applications of tensors and group theory include quantum mechanics, general relativity, computer graphics, and machine learning. They are also used in materials science, chemistry, and biology.

5. Is knowledge of tensors and group theory necessary for all scientists?

No, knowledge of tensors and group theory is not necessary for all scientists. However, it can be a useful tool for those working in fields that require a deep understanding of symmetry and mathematical representations of physical systems.