Anyone Understand Obama's Mortgage Modification ?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mortgage
In summary, a woman refinanced her house using an Obama-created mortgage modification program. However, the interest rate she was quoted changed after the signing, and she now owes more money than she anticipated. She may be able to get help from the government.
zoobyshoe
Anyone Understand Obama's "Mortgage Modification"?

A woman I know here just refinanced her house apparently according to Obama's "Mortgage Modification". The lender quoted her a very good fixed interest. Then, on the day of the signing (yesterday) they suddenly told her the interest had to be higher and it had to be an adjustable rate mortgage. They pressured her to sign, claiming there was some deadline, and she caved.

I can't really find anything online that isn't posted by mortgage lenders. Does anyone know what this "mortgage modification" actually requires? Is it a law with specifications that the woman could demonstrate the lender has violated with their bait and switch?

When I ran into her yesterday she was very depressed because she had discovered earlier that her monthly payments were going to start at $600.00 more a month than the bank had quoted. With an ARM, they're only going to go up from there. Now she can't plow money into fixing the place up bit by bit as she'd hoped. She felt she couldn't back out because she had a balloon coming up on the old mortgage and had to pay that off.

Physics news on Phys.org

What happened is that the original mortgage fell through, so they offered her a replacement. I see that a LOT. The only thing to do is to tell them you have to think it over and leave. Most people want the house so bad that they take the worse deal anyway.

A lot of lenders advertising the "obama thing:, are in deed shiesters. I hope she didn't reach them through one of those internet adds. There might have never been another loan available to her. I'm not up on what "mortgage modification" entails though.

She needs to call whichever regulatory office handles mortgage complaints. Most contracts fall under the unwritten 30 day cancellation most buyers are not aware of. Not sure if there is a similar grace period with home loans. She might lose her deposit and fee for paperwork, but much better than getting her home reposssed.

Have her call this number
The Federal government provides free resources to get you the help you need. Homeowners can call the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) for information about the Making Home Affordable Program and to speak with a HUD approved housing counselor. Assistance is available in English and Spanish, and other languages by appointment.

HUD.org is another free website where you may go to find a local counselor in your region. HUD.gov

MakingHomeAffordable.gov also has many resources for you to check online. It allows you to compute estimated payments as well as has other resources. Making Home Affordable

She might be dealing with a scammer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_modification

Last edited:

Evo said:
What happened is that the original mortgage fell through, so they offered her a replacement.
What does this mean, exactly? How would it "fall through"? The mortgage co is actually getting the loan from somewhere else?

She needs to call whichever regulatory office handles mortgage complaints. Most contracts fall under the unwritten 30 day cancellation most buyers are not aware of. Not sure if there is a similar grace period with home loans. She might lose her deposit and fee for paperwork, but much better than getting her home reposssed.

Have her call this number
This looks like the best course of action. I'll have her try this.

Thanks, Evo!

Last edited by a moderator:

zoobyshoe said:
What does this mean, exactly? How would it "fall through"? The mortgage co is actually getting the loan from somewhere else?
Dang, I accidently hit "edit on your post zoob.

It's very possible, especially in the case of a "high risk" applicant. It is not uncommon for mortgage brokers to go to individuals or groups that will agree to take on a high risk loan, usually for a lot higher rate. You need to find out who exactly is financing the loan. Also, it's common for loans to be sold. You start out with a loan from one bank, then the next thing you know you've been sold to a different bank.

Evo said:
Dang, I accidently hit "edit on your post zoob.

It's very possible, especially in the case of a "high risk" applicant. It is not uncommon for mortgage brokers to go to individuals or groups that will agree to take on a high risk loan, usually for a lot higher rate. You need to find out who exactly is financing the loan. Also, it's common for loans to be sold. You start out with a loan from one bank, then the next thing you know you've been sold to a different bank.

OK. I'll go down there later and give her this info. Hope they can help her.

1. What is Obama's Mortgage Modification program and why was it implemented?

Obama's Mortgage Modification program, also known as the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), was implemented in 2009 in response to the housing crisis and economic recession. Its goal was to help struggling homeowners by providing them with more affordable mortgage payments and preventing foreclosures.

2. How does Obama's Mortgage Modification program work?

The program allows eligible homeowners to apply for a loan modification, which may include a lower interest rate, extended loan term, or principal reduction. The goal is to lower the monthly mortgage payments to no more than 31% of the homeowner's gross monthly income.

3. Who is eligible for Obama's Mortgage Modification program?

To be eligible, homeowners must have a mortgage that originated before January 1, 2009, and be facing financial hardship. They must also have a mortgage balance of less than $729,750 for a single-family home or higher for multi-family properties. Additionally, they must have a good payment history and be able to prove their income.

4. How successful has Obama's Mortgage Modification program been?

The program has helped millions of homeowners since its implementation, but its success rate has been mixed. As of 2021, over 30% of homeowners who received a loan modification through the program have defaulted again. However, for those who have successfully completed the program, it has provided much-needed relief and prevented foreclosures.

5. Is Obama's Mortgage Modification program still available?

No, the program officially ended on December 31, 2016. However, some mortgage servicers may offer similar loan modification options, and there are other government programs available to help struggling homeowners. It is best to consult with a housing counselor or a mortgage professional for personalized advice and assistance.