AP Calculus AB vs AP Calculus BC Exams?

In summary, taking the AP Calculus BC exam might give you credit for AP Calculus AB, but you would be better off learning the subject properly.
icecubebeast
Hello,
I was wondering if I should take the AP Calculus AB exam first or just take the AP Calculus BC exam. I am currently learning AP Calculus BC and my friends say that you have to take both in order to get college credit for both (I'm skeptical of this). Since AP Calculus BC covers the same exact topics in AP Calculus AB and some additional topics, would taking AP Calculus BC exam also give me credit for AP Calculus AB?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your friends are wrong.

IGU said:
Your friends are wrong.
So AP Calculus BC can cover college credit for AP Calculus AB?

Go look at the College Board website if you want to understand what the tests are about. If you go to Caltech you won't get any "credit" for either one. Other schools will want you to take a test of theirs and won't give you credit unless you actually understand the material (a completely different thing from getting some score on a test). And other places will give you credit for either.

If you know any colleges you are interested in, go look at their web sites and see what they say about math placement and credit.

@IGU Do you know if the test has proving limits by epsilon-delta method? Because the topic outline only mentioned as "An intuitive understanding of the limiting process."

My memory is that AP calculus doesn't involve proving anything. But these things change, so you should check a current College Board study guide.

IGU said:
My memory is that AP calculus doesn't involve proving anything. But these things change, so you should check a current College Board study guide.
Yes, that's what I asked. The topic outline for AP Calculus AB said there are limits but it didn't say anything about proving limits with epsilon-delta and my textbook has it.

A topic outline is not a study guide. Find something with details if you want to know this.

I know you're just asking about the test here, but I'll admit that I always advise actually learning the subject properly rather than just doing what's required for some test. You would be much better off learning calculus rather than "learning AP Calculus BC". Sure, there's no harm in knowing what the test covers so you can make sure you don't miss anything you need to know in order to do well, but don't let it set limits to what you learn.

What is the main difference between AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC exams?

The main difference between the two exams is the level of difficulty and depth of material covered. AP Calculus AB covers single-variable calculus, while AP Calculus BC covers both single and multi-variable calculus. This means that BC covers more topics and requires a higher level of understanding and application.

Which exam is more challenging?

AP Calculus BC is generally considered more challenging than AP Calculus AB due to the additional material covered. However, this can vary depending on the individual's strengths and weaknesses in math.

Do colleges prefer one exam over the other?

Colleges do not prefer one exam over the other. Both exams are considered advanced level courses and can potentially earn college credit. It is important for students to choose the exam that aligns with their strengths and future academic goals.

Can students take both exams?

Yes, students are allowed to take both AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC exams. However, it is not common for students to do so since BC covers the same material as AB and more. It is recommended for students to take the BC exam if they feel comfortable with the material.

Is it beneficial to take both exams?

Taking both AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC exams can demonstrate a strong understanding and mastery of calculus to colleges. However, it is not necessary and may not be worth the additional time and effort for most students.