Apollo 13: What did the crew see when they looked out the window?

In summary, enhanced images released by NASA show the incredible story of the Apollo 13 mission, which faced a life-threatening accident in space. These photos include an animation and transcript of the crew's situation report, highlighting their bravery and "The Right Stuff" mentality.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Nice photos here:

Apollo 13: Enhanced images reveal life on stricken spacecraft (BBC, 13 april 2020)
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52264743

Amazing to see these photos, particularly since it became such a dangerous mission due to the accident, or maybe I should say "problem". :smile:

One photo:

_111766160_swigertlovelllmwideangle.jpg

Likes berkeman, Ibix and DrGreg
Physics news on Phys.org
If you follow through to the NASA page there's an animation that fades back and forth between a preflight shot of the bay that exploded and an image the crew took out of the window, with a transcript of their situation report. I doubt I could be so cool staring at that mess when my life depends on it not being too much of a mess. The Right Stuff indeed.

Likes DennisN

1. What did the crew see when they looked out the window during Apollo 13?

The crew of Apollo 13 saw the vast expanse of space and the Earth from a distance of about 200,000 miles away. They also observed the lunar module and the damaged service module as they performed a spacewalk to assess the extent of the damage.

2. Did the crew see the moon during their mission?

Yes, the crew of Apollo 13 did see the moon during their mission. However, they were not able to land on it due to the malfunction of their spacecraft. They saw the moon from a distance of about 158 miles away.

3. Were there any other celestial bodies visible from the spacecraft?

Apart from the Earth and the moon, the crew of Apollo 13 also saw other celestial bodies such as stars, planets, and galaxies. However, they were not able to see them as clearly as they would have on Earth due to the lack of atmospheric interference.

4. Did the crew see any signs of the explosion from their window?

Yes, the crew was able to see some signs of the explosion from their window. They observed debris and oxygen gas escaping from the damaged service module, which was one of the indicators of the explosion that occurred in the oxygen tank.

5. How did the view from the window change during the mission?

The view from the window changed significantly during the mission. Initially, the crew saw the Earth and its atmosphere, then the moon as they orbited around it, and finally the damaged service module as they performed a spacewalk. As they returned to Earth, the view changed to the vast expanse of space and eventually the blue waters of the Pacific Ocean.