Apostol: infinity as finite point

In summary, the conversation discussed a potential typo in the first edition of Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" regarding the notation for the extended real number system R* and the regular real number system R. The group concluded that the points in R (a subset of R*) are considered finite, while +/-infinity are infinite. The difference between open and closed intervals was also clarified. Additionally, the conversation mentioned the location of a torrent for the first edition of the book.
kahwawashay1
I found a torrent online of Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" 1st edition and I think I found a typo, or whoever scanned the book cut off the edge a bit...

Apostol writes that the extended real number system R* is denoted by [-∞, +∞] while the regular real number system R is denoted by (-∞, ∞). Then he says "The points in R are called 'finite' to distinguish them from the 'infinite' points +∞ and -∞. " Shouldn't it read that the points in R* are finite, not the points in R? Because if you include infinity in the interval, you are treating it as a finite point?

The "R" is the sentence that I quoted above is a the very edge of the page so it could be that the scanner of the book cut off the " * " accidentally, but I just want to confirm...

Physics news on Phys.org
kahwawashay1 said:
I found a torrent online of Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" 1st edition and I think I found a typo, or whoever scanned the book cut off the edge a bit...

Apostol writes that the extended real number system R* is denoted by [-∞, +∞] while the regular real number system R is denoted by (-∞, ∞). Then he says "The points in R are called 'finite' to distinguish them from the 'infinite' points +∞ and -∞. " Shouldn't it read that the points in R* are finite, not the points in R? Because if you include infinity in the interval, you are treating it as a finite point?

The "R" is the sentence that I quoted above is a the very edge of the page so it could be that the scanner of the book cut off the " * " accidentally, but I just want to confirm...

I think he means that the points in R (as a subset of R*) are called finite. So in R*, the numbers 3, -6, and pi are finite. +/-infinity are infinite.

SteveL27 said:
I think he means that the points in R (as a subset of R*) are called finite. So in R*, the numbers 3, -6, and pi are finite. +/-infinity are infinite.

ohhh i see...so basically R, by not including infinity, contains only finite points, and the opposite is true of R*. thanks Steve!

"Infinty" is not included in the open interval [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. An open interval does not contain its end points.

Be careful about the notation for an open inteval ( ) and a closed interval [ ].

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
"Infinty" is not included in the open interval [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. An open interval does not contain its end points.

Be careful about the notation for an open inteval ( ) and a closed interval [ ].

thanks but I do know the difference between open and closed interval.
R* is denoted by closed interval [-∞,∞] and R by open. I am assuming you thought that there cannot be a thing as [-∞, ∞] ? Thats what I thought too until I read the above mentioned book lol

can you tell me where did you find the torrent for the first edition cause i can only found the second one and there is some proof which is only in the first one
Thank you

1. What is "Apostol: infinity as finite point"?

"Apostol: infinity as finite point" is a mathematical concept proposed by mathematician Tom M. Apostol in his book "Calculus, Volume 1". It discusses the idea of representing infinity as a single finite point on a number line.

2. How does "Apostol: infinity as finite point" differ from traditional views of infinity?

Traditionally, infinity is seen as a concept that cannot be represented or understood by finite numbers. However, Apostol's concept challenges this idea by proposing that infinity can be represented as a single point on a number line, making it more tangible and easier to understand.

3. What implications does "Apostol: infinity as finite point" have in mathematics?

Apostol's concept has significant implications in the field of mathematics, particularly in calculus and real analysis. It provides a new way of approaching and understanding infinite limits and series, and has potential applications in other areas of mathematics as well.

4. What are some criticisms of "Apostol: infinity as finite point"?

Some mathematicians have criticized Apostol's concept, arguing that it oversimplifies the concept of infinity and ignores its more complex and abstract properties. Others argue that it may not be applicable in all mathematical situations.

5. How does "Apostol: infinity as finite point" relate to other theories of infinity?

Apostol's concept is just one of many theories and interpretations of infinity in mathematics. It can be seen as a modern variation of the ancient Greek concept of potential infinity, which states that infinity is a process rather than a quantity. It also has connections to other modern theories such as the theory of surreal numbers.