1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent frequency of reflected wave

1. Aug 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A police car P with its siren on is chasing car T . The frequency of the siren is 1000hz. The speed of police car P is 30m/s . and the speed of car T is 40m/s . What's the apparent frequency of the siren heard by driver T > the ans is 967hz . I managed to get the ans for this.
    But i didnt managed to get the ans for part b .
    here's part b :
    What's the apparent frequency of the reflected wave heard by driver T ? the ans is 941 hz. p/s : i assume both P and T are moving to the right.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    apparent frequency of the siren heard by driver T = ((330-40)/(330-30))x 1000 = 967hz.

b ) apparent frequency of the siren emitted by P to the left = (330/(330+30)) x 1000 = 917hz.

apparent frequency of the siren reflected from the right and heard by T after reflection = ((330-40) / (330-30) ) x 917hz = 886hz . i am not sure which direction of the sound wave is reflected. can somoene explain on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure the question is asking about driver T hearing the reflected wave? It makes more sense that driver P hears the wave reflected off of T.

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3
    yes the question asking T heard the wave

5. Aug 3, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Driver T can't hear the reflected wave- it is moving away from him.

6. Aug 4, 2014 #5
    so is the question wrong?

7. Aug 4, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sounds like it. Try calculating the frequency P hears for the reflected wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted