The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
warfreak131
Messages
186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



During a hurricane, a 1,200 Hz warning siren
on the town hall sounds. The wind is blowing
at 55 m/s in a direction from the siren toward
a person 1 km away. With what frequency does
the sound wave reach the person? (The speed of
sound in air is 330 m/s.)

(A) 1,000 Hz
(B) 1,030 Hz
(C) 1,200 Hz
(D) 1,400 Hz
(E) 1,440 Hz

Homework Equations



[tex]f = \left( \frac{c + v_r}{c + v_{s}} \right) f_0 \,[/tex]

C is the velocity of waves in the medium;
Vr is the velocity of the receiver relative to the medium; positive if the receiver is moving towards the source;
Vs is the velocity of the source relative to the medium; positive if the source is moving away from the receiver.

The Attempt at a Solution



Stop me at any point if I'm wrong:

C would be 330 m/s. Vr would be 55, and Vs would be 0?

I try plugging this into the formula, and I always ~1030 Hz, but the answer key (this is from a practice GRE) says that the answer is 1200 Hz. How do they get this answer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both the receiver and the source are moving at the same velocity with regard to the medium.
 
Right right right, I just realized that before checking the response here, lol
 
Okay, what about this one. I have no idea where to start. I know some of the equations for parallel plate capacitors, but none that have current in them.

A large, parallel-plate capacitor consists of two
square plates that measure 0.5 m on each side. A
charging current of 9 A is applied to the capacitor.
Which of the following gives the approximate rate
of change of the electric field between the plates?
 
Although I know that I = C dV/dt, but the capacitance of the system would rely on how far apart the plates are, which the question doesn't specify.
 
Actually, C = eA/d, meaning that I = eA/d * dV/dt. The choices are all in V / (m.s) format, so I/eA = 1/d * dV/dt which would be dimensionally correct.