Apparent Weight of Planet Problem

In summary: Is this line of thing correct or am I missing something.The value that I Used for my r was 1.889x107m and I assumed that I could just use that value given the wording of the question. Okay so looking at the wording more closely were given a quater the distance around the planet, this is 1/4 the circumference so c=7.556x107. c=pi*2r. r=(c-pi)/2. r=3.778x107. Would this line of thinking be correct or am I still mistaken?The value that I Used for my r was 1.889x107m and I assumed that I could just use that value given the wording of the question. Okay
anubis01

Homework Statement

Planet X rotates in the same manner as the earth, around an axis through its north and south poles, and is perfectly spherical. An astronaut who weighs 950.0 N on the Earth weighs 919.0 N at the north pole of Planet X and only 855.0 N at its equator. The distance from the north pole to the equator is 1.889×104 Km, measured along the surface of Planet X.

Homework Equations

g=g0-(v2/r)
w=mg
v=sqrt(gxpole-gxequatorxrx)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)How long is the day on Planet X?

Okay so first we need the mass of the astronaught which is we/ge=96.44 Kg. We can then use this to calculate gxequator and gxpole which equal 9.48 m/s^2 and 8.82 m/s^2 respectivly. using the formula g=g0-(v2/r) we can rearrange and solve for v. v=sqrt(gxpole-gxequator*rx) and I get a value of 3530.92 m/s. since v=2pir/T we rearange for T and I get a value of 33614.3 s. Now the answer is incorrect Could anyone please help determine what I'm missing from this question. As always any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anubis01,

anubis01 said:

Homework Statement

Planet X rotates in the same manner as the earth, around an axis through its north and south poles, and is perfectly spherical. An astronaut who weighs 950.0 N on the Earth weighs 919.0 N at the north pole of Planet X and only 855.0 N at its equator. The distance from the north pole to the equator is 1.889×104 Km, measured along the surface of Planet X.

Homework Equations

g=g0-(v2/r)
w=mg
v=sqrt(gxpole-gxequatorxrx)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)How long is the day on Planet X?

Okay so first we need the mass of the astronaught which is we/ge=96.44 Kg. We can then use this to calculate gxequator and gxpole which equal 9.48 m/s^2 and 8.82 m/s^2 respectivly. using the formula g=g0-(v2/r) we can rearrange and solve for v. v=sqrt(gxpole-gxequator*rx) and I get a value of 3530.92 m/s.

I can't be sure without seeing the numbers you used, but I believe you used the wrong r value here. (Notice in the original problem they did not give you the radius of the planet.)

alphysicist said:
Hi anubis01,

I can't be sure without seeing the numbers you used, but I believe you used the wrong r value here. (Notice in the original problem they did not give you the radius of the planet.)

The value that I Used for my r was 1.889x107m and I assumed that I could just use that value given the wording of the question. Okay so looking at the wording more closely were given a quater the distance around the planet, this is 1/4 the circumference so c=7.556x107. c=pi*2r. r=(c-pi)/2. r=3.778x107. Would this line of thinking be correct or am I still mistaken?

anubis01 said:
The value that I Used for my r was 1.889x107m and I assumed that I could just use that value given the wording of the question. Okay so looking at the wording more closely were given a quater the distance around the planet, this is 1/4 the circumference so c=7.556x107. c=pi*2r. r=(c-pi)/2. r=3.778x107. Would this line of thinking be correct or am I still mistaken?

Your line of thinking is right, but:

[tex]
c= 2 \pi r \longrightarrow r = \frac{c}{2 \pi}
[/tex]

alphysicist said:
Your line of thinking is right, but:

[tex]
c= 2 \pi r \longrightarrow r = \frac{c}{2 \pi}
[/tex]
sigh, silly mistakes are going to be the death of me. Thank you very much for all the help sir, your a life saver.

Okay I got the answer for part a but I'm not sure about part b. which asks

If a 4.400×104Kg satellite is placed in a circular orbit 3000 Km above the surface of Planet X, what will be its orbital period?
alright since we know the velocity of the planet and its period we can use that to calcualte the the mass of said planet which I got to be 1.4315*10^24 Kg.

Then using the the formula T=2pir2/3/sqrt(Gmplanet) I got the period to be 0.0392. Is this line of thing correct or am I missing something.

anubis01 said:
Okay I got the answer for part a but I'm not sure about part b. which asks

If a 4.400×104Kg satellite is placed in a circular orbit 3000 Km above the surface of Planet X, what will be its orbital period?
alright since we know the velocity of the planet and its period we can use that to calcualte the the mass of said planet which I got to be 1.4315*10^24 Kg.

I don't think this mass is correct; can you show how you got it?

alphysicist said:
I don't think this mass is correct; can you show how you got it?

I calculated the mass using the velocity of the planet which was found in the last part of the question v=2817.267m/s I used the formula (v^2*rplanet)/G=Mplanet
Mplanet=(2817.267^2*1.203x10^7)/6.67x10^-11=1.4315x10^24 Kg

I then used the formula T=2pir2/3/sqrt(Gmplanet) to find the orbital period of the satellite plugging in the values. T=(2pi(1.203X10^7+3x10^6)2/3)/sqrt(6.67x10^-11x1.4315x10^24)=0.0392 s

anubis01 said:
I calculated the mass using the velocity of the planet which was found in the last part of the question v=2817.267m/s I used the formula (v^2*rplanet)/G=Mplanet
Mplanet=(2817.267^2*1.203x10^7)/6.67x10^-11=1.4315x10^24 Kg

I then used the formula T=2pir2/3/sqrt(Gmplanet) to find the orbital period of the satellite plugging in the values. T=(2pi(1.203X10^7+3x10^6)2/3)/sqrt(6.67x10^-11x1.4315x10^24)=0.0392 s

That V is the rotation of the planet, not something that is in orbit around the planet.

You would do better to use the Astronaut's weight at the pole to figure GM.

LowlyPion said:
That V is the rotation of the planet, not something that is in orbit around the planet.

You would do better to use the Astronaut's weight at the pole to figure GM.

when I use the astronaughts weight at the pole I get following mass.

Fg=(Gmplanetmastronaught)/rp2
mplanet=(fg*rp2)/(G*mastronaught)
mplanet=(919*(1.203x107)2)/(6.67x10-11x84.6)
mplanet=2.356x1025Kg

I don't think the mass is right because the planet shouldn't have a heavier mass than the Earth and yet exert a smaller fg on the astronaught.

anubis01 said:
when I use the astronaughts weight at the pole I get following mass.

Fg=(Gmplanetmastronaught)/rp2
mplanet=(fg*rp2)/(G*mastronaught)
mplanet=(919*(1.203x107)2)/(6.67x10-11x84.6)
mplanet=2.356x1025Kg

I don't think the mass is right because the planet shouldn't have a heavier mass than the Earth and yet exert a smaller fg on the astronaught.

It's not just the mass of the planet that effects fg, it's also the radius of the planet; and this planet is larger than the earth.

Ah I got it now, thank you both for all the help.

1. What is the "apparent weight of planet problem"?

The apparent weight of planet problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the apparent weight of an object when it is placed on a planet with a different gravitational force than Earth.

2. How is the apparent weight of an object affected by the gravitational force of a planet?

The apparent weight of an object is affected by the gravitational force of a planet because gravity is what gives objects weight. Different planets have different gravitational forces, so the apparent weight of an object will vary depending on the planet it is on.

3. What factors influence the apparent weight of an object on a planet?

The factors that influence the apparent weight of an object on a planet include the mass and radius of the planet, as well as the mass and distance of the object from the center of the planet.

4. How is the apparent weight of an object calculated on a different planet?

The apparent weight of an object on a different planet is calculated using the formula W=mg, where W is the apparent weight, m is the mass of the object, and g is the gravitational acceleration of the planet. The value of g can be found using the formula g=G(M/r^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the object to the center of the planet.

5. Why is understanding the apparent weight of planet problem important?

Understanding the apparent weight of planet problem is important because it helps scientists and engineers design and build objects that can function in different gravitational environments. It also allows us to better understand the effects of gravity on objects and how it varies on different planets.