Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Apparently there are people with 2 phd in math and physics.

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

http://www.math.ru.nl/~hawkins/cv5.pdf

And from the same university, I guess if you really like both maths and physics so passionately, no matter what others will tell you about doing two phds, you will do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    Wow, I think the thing to really 'wow' at here is that the same university granted two Ph.Ds...

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I found my 'wow' moment in that this guy is a man, and he presented this:

Presenter. Women in Science and Engineering Math day.
    October 7, 2000. Penn State.

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4
    There's more than one way to skin a Schrodinger Cat.

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    It still doesn't make sense. Plenty of math PhDs publish in physics journals and physics PhDs publish in math journals. Why pay tuition as a student for doing the exact same thing you could do as a professor? Unless you can't get hired as a professor I guess... and you don't need a job. Or sometimes people get a second PhD if they discover way too late that they hate their initial field and want to do something totally different.

7. Apr 21, 2010 #6
    I knew someone who got a second Ph.D. in physics, after getting a Ph.D. in math and making a fortune on Wall Street (but not really liking NYC and the whole financial market thing). I think the institutions were different ones... and his new field (Quantum Modeling or Quantum Field Theory, I forget) was definitely different... I believe he'd never studied any quantum mechanics before, and minimal physics.

8. Apr 21, 2010 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think every grad school I applied to had the policy of NOT granting additional Ph.D.'s (they all said, if you have a Ph.D. already...don't apply lol) I guess this university is different hehe.

9. Apr 22, 2010 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well everyone has his own reasons why does whatever he does, obviously it's not necessary to get two PhDs, and maybe he didn't pay tuition for them both.

I can see why if someone did for example a PhD in Quantum chaos in maths, and wanted afterwards to do postdoc in Quantum gravity why he would have to do another PhD, because no one will look on him because he did his PhD in another field.

10. Apr 26, 2010 #9
    Did he work with quantitative analysis by any chance?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook