1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application Deadline for Universities in the States?

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know what the deadline is for applying for University in the United States?

I want to apply for next year and Im wondering when the deadline is.

Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

Mk

Every university has it's own deadline(s). For me, it was actually sometime in December, but I went to a weird college.

4. Aug 24, 2007 #3
    Do you know what the deadline is for Washington State University?

5. Aug 24, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Deadlines could vary by department as well. Is this for grad school or undergrad? You should look at the University/dept. website for application deadlines and other information.

6. Aug 24, 2007 #5
    go to google, type "washington state physics," and that'll likely bring you to a link to the physics department's website.

from there you can hunt around (usually on a "graduate students" or "application" section of the site) for information about applying, including deadlines.

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6
    Like everyone else said it varies by school. I've noticed most private schools tend to have app deadlines around Feb or March, and public schools in Nov Dec. I know for sure that UC's have a November deadline.

8. Aug 25, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you do not know the date of the deadline and can't find it for some odd reason, I'd suggest sending in you application to that institution early, as in early October to November. I can't think of any institution that has a deadline that early, so, it is a safe time to send them in if possible.

9. Aug 31, 2007 #8
    I want to apply for University for next year...But I am older..And I haven't gone through highschool yet. So I'm going to be attending a College that has an Adult Basic Education program..And when I've completed it..I will have my highschool education. But the Adult Basic Education program finishes sometime at the beginning of the summer 2008. So that's why I need to plan this ahead of time so I can make sure I apply for University for next year before the deadline. The Adult Basic Education program is also at your own pace..So that's another reason why I need to know when the deadline is so that if I have to work 2x as hard to finish my highscool credits so that I can apply before the deadline then I will! I really want to get into University next year badly. So I have to plan this ahead of time. I emailed Washington State and they never replied. Im not looking to get into anything that is specifically for physics. Actually I've never even taken anything to do with physics in my life. I signed up here for really simple math questions for now. If anyone can help me figure out when the deadline is for applying to Washington University I'd really appreciate it!! Thank you!!

10. Aug 31, 2007 #9
  11. Aug 31, 2007 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is there a reason why you are unable to find this online at Washington State's website? I think most of us are curious (I know I am) as to how you are able to get applications forms, etc. from the university but not able to locate any kind of a deadline for application? Is there something preventing you from looking for it at their website and obtaining the information (i.e. website is confusing, they post many deadlines, etc.)?

This is not a criticism for posting this question. Rather it is more of a "teach fishing" rather than "give the fish" type of inquiry.

Zz.

12. Aug 31, 2007 #11
    Reasons: I didn't know all Universities had different deadlines so my original question was about all Universities in general..Then when I found out it was specific to each school I emailed them and didn't get a response...I have 4390589340583409859340850349859034854334958394894598034598043598435894354389 things on my mind right now so I didn't even think to look on their website for the deadline so I asked here.

Why would you say that after the guy posted the link? LoL.

Thank you for helping me out trinitron!!

13. Aug 31, 2007 #12
    Even looking at the link I'm not sure what the deadline for applying is..January 31st?

14. Sep 2, 2007 #13
    May 1st? I'm not sure what it says the deadline is for applying :/

Does anyone know?

15. Sep 2, 2007 #14
    It looks like there is no strict cutoff, but you should really apply before the priority deadline (January 31).

16. Sep 2, 2007 #15
    When people are in University how do they know which courses they're going to choose for the next year if they're still in school during January 1st? Shouldn't they finish the year first and then apply for the next year?

17. Sep 3, 2007 #16

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Students who are already in university usually register for classes for a particular semester about 2/3 of the way through the preceding semester. There's usually a designated period for doing so, perhaps about a week long. Then, at the beginning of the semester, you can change your schedule by dropping and/or adding courses.

As with other things, the exact procedures vary from one university to another.

18. Sep 3, 2007 #17
    Thank you for letting me know.

19. Sep 29, 2007 #18
    If I want to attend a University..Particulary Washington State...Am I able to enroll for the 2nd half if I didn't enroll for the 1st?

20. Sep 30, 2007 #19
    Are you sure? UC = University of California?

The three UC's I'm applying to have their deadlines on December 15 or January 15.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?