Graduate Programs with late application deadlines

In summary, you are looking for programs that have late admissions, preferably a month from now, and that have funding for their graduate students. There may be a limited number of programs that meet these criteria, but you will need to research them more specifically.
jamalkoiyess
Hello all,

I did the classic mistake of overestimating my application and submitting only to some high profile universities (all above 150 on the QS physics [i know no the best indicator but I used it]). I got rejected from nearly all and I can't be hopeful that the rest won't follow similarly so I am searching for some programs that have late deadlines, at least a month from now, so let's say May 30 and above.

I am an international student which means that some European programs are now beyond my deadlines because of VISAs and equivalencies. My aim is to find Canadian or US programs (since they fund their graduates) that are still open to admissions for fall, or that have allowed admission for Spring (since most of the ones I saw are only open for Fall applications).

I know that this does not greatly narrow the search, but I am really counting on some help so any suggestions can do, no need for long lists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh boy. You are not in a good place.

First problem is you missed the Fall deadline by 5 months. Not 5 minutes, but 5 months. Applications have been evaluated, decisions have been made, offers extended and in most cases the entering students have alraedy accepted. The classes are already pretty much determined.

Second problem is that while there may be a school or two that didn't admit as many students as they wish, there is no way of finding out which ones find themselves in this boat this year.

Third problem is that the worst physics schools in the US are on par with the best physics school in Lebanon. Unless you have stellar letters and a spectacular GRE, your low GPA will work against you. If you couldn't do well as an undergraduate, how do you expect to do well taking harder classes?

Fourth problem: there is no way you will be able to get a student visa in time.

Fifth problem: have you thought about what your statement of purpose will say? "I thought I was too good for your school, but other places rejected me so I am reconsidering. Provided you pony up the cash, of course!" That will not go over well.

If you want to study in the US, you are probably talking about the next cycle.

Some schools at least in the US have spring admissions. I know both schools I applied to did.

Joshy said:
Some schools at least in the US have spring admissions. I know both schools I applied to did.
could you please link me to both programs? Thanks

Joshy said:
Some schools at least in the US have spring admissions.

But do they have funded students in Spring?

Vanadium 50 said:
Oh boy. You are not in a good place.

First problem is you missed the Fall deadline by 5 months. Not 5 minutes, but 5 months. Applications have been evaluated, decisions have been made, offers extended and in most cases the entering students have alraedy accepted. The classes are already pretty much determined.

Second problem is that while there may be a school or two that didn't admit as many students as they wish, there is no way of finding out which ones find themselves in this boat this year.

Third problem is that the worst physics schools in the US are on par with the best physics school in Lebanon. Unless you have stellar letters and a spectacular GRE, your low GPA will work against you. If you couldn't do well as an undergraduate, how do you expect to do well taking harder classes?

Fourth problem: there is no way you will be able to get a student visa in time.

Fifth problem: have you thought about what your statement of purpose will say? "I thought I was too good for your school, but other places rejected me so I am reconsidering. Provided you pony up the cash, of course!" That will not go over well.

If you want to study in the US, you are probably talking about the next cycle.
I am aware of how late I am and as mentioned I was overconfident with my applications. I will now focus on Spring admissions I guess since as you stated late deadlines mean that teams were already filled. I know that our universities are bad, but I am not looking for top schools anymore, just any place with funding (we are sadly in a national financial crisis, IMF coming over, so exports of funds are impossible, thus the need for outside funds).

So I guess to better phrase my question: What are some programs that are open for spring admissions and that have enough funds for their graduate students? And given an average applicant with a background in Lebanon, what is the range of universities I should be heading for?

1. What are graduate programs with late application deadlines?

Graduate programs with late application deadlines refer to graduate programs that have extended their application deadlines beyond the standard deadline. This allows students who may have missed the initial deadline to still apply for the program.

2. Why do some graduate programs have late application deadlines?

There are a few reasons why some graduate programs may have late application deadlines. One reason could be that the program did not receive enough applications during the initial deadline and is now extending the deadline to attract more applicants. Another reason could be that the program wants to accommodate students who may have had extenuating circumstances that prevented them from applying on time.

3. How do I find graduate programs with late application deadlines?

You can find graduate programs with late application deadlines by researching individual programs or by using online search tools that allow you to filter by application deadline. You can also reach out to the admissions offices of the programs you are interested in to inquire about any extended deadlines.

4. Is it a disadvantage to apply to a graduate program with a late application deadline?

No, it is not a disadvantage to apply to a graduate program with a late application deadline. Admissions committees evaluate all applications equally, regardless of when they were submitted. However, it is important to keep in mind that late applications may have a smaller pool of available spots compared to those who applied during the initial deadline.

5. Can I still receive financial aid if I apply to a graduate program with a late application deadline?

Yes, you can still receive financial aid if you apply to a graduate program with a late application deadline. However, it is important to check with the program and the financial aid office to ensure that you meet all the necessary deadlines for aid consideration. Some programs may have specific deadlines for financial aid applications, even if the program itself has a late application deadline.