1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Conformal Mapping in Physics

1. Jan 13, 2018 #1
    Hi,
    I'm studying about Conformal Mapping in Complex Analysis and see its applications in Heat transfer, Fluid and Static Eletrocity. But it is said that this subject is very useful in many branches of Physics.
    Can you tell me about that?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2018 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You have already mentioned some important applications. In general, complex analysis conformal mappings are used to find solutions to planar potential flows. (see http://brennen.caltech.edu/fluidboo...ialflow/complexvariables/conformalmapping.pdf )
    Potentials are very important in physics.
    The basic ideas of complex analysis conformal mappings are extended to higher dimensions and have more applications than just planar flows.

4. Jan 13, 2018 #3
    Can you tell more about applications to higher dimensions?

5. Jan 13, 2018 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~evans/TS/Toolbox/confrml_map.pdf

Zz.

6. Jan 13, 2018 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I'm afraid that I was sloppy and too ambitious in my answer. The basics of mappings that locally map Rn into another space, preserving the local angles, is what I was referring to. I really don't have enough expertise to say more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted