Applications for Mechanical Engineering - Reasoning

In summary, the conversation discusses the gap between theoretical knowledge learned in college and its practical application in the real world for mechanical engineers. While some skills may not be directly applicable, the problem-solving methodology learned in school is valuable in any situation. Examples of how engineering skills are used in daily life and various job roles are also shared. Lateral thinking and management are highlighted as important aspects in creating engineering and science applications.
vargasjc
Howdy big timers. I need some stouthearted mechanical engineers to help me out with my reasoning here. Since I graduated some five years ago I’ve have found that there is a gap between what you know as a college graduate, and what that knowledge does and means in the real world. In the field mostly we do what we are told in the way we are told to do it regardless of what you have learned. Then work and grow from there. Fine. But when I am home, and I feel like doing or inventing something for myself I am lost.

So my question is what relationships have you been able to establish between our mechE skill set and a tangible application? i.e. I've used my heat transfer knowledge to upgrade my home insulation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Very few times will you be asked in life or your profession to solve for the efficiency of an ideal cascading Rankine cycle. Does that mean that doing it, learning it, and practicing it was useless?

While much of the actual knowledge you learned isn't directly applicable, what you learned was a way and methodology to go about solving any problem. In that way, I use my engineering skillset on a daily basis.

p.s. Although I do in fact perform a lot of textbook-type analyses too.

Everything we do SHOULD, in some way, be grounded in the basics you learned in school. Granted, things may look drastically different, but if you take the time, I would bet there are glimpses of what you learned in there. That is definitely true in my case.

Hey minger, I think you are right on the money.

minger said:
Very few times will you be asked in life or your profession to solve for the efficiency of an ideal cascading Rankine cycle. Does that mean that doing it, learning it, and practicing it was useless?

I think very much the same and goes hand in hand with my experience. It was not only useful, but enjoyable. Besides, the scope of the career is to vast to consider using everything, no doubt.

minger said:
While much of the actual knowledge you learned isn't directly applicable, what you learned was a way and methodology to go about solving any problem. In that way, I use my engineering skillset on a daily basis.

Maybe I should put it in another way. If you tell me that you make furniture and that's how you use your knowledge, then that's the answer I am looking for. That's an application. It's not a job title, but how you use what you learned and to what end.

Dude I use it every day. I'm a vibes guy in UAV wing design. I can't tell you how often I boil things down to analytical solutions to get some insight into what's going on.

Sweet. That's a nice job man.

It's cheating somewhat I'm sure, but I work as a researcher in the mechanics of materials in a mechanical engineering department of a university. I use the skills I learned every day :)

Before this I spent a while working for a design and engineering consultancy, where I was responsible for developing products, applying for funding, mechanical testing, designing production methods...all very varied and fun and very much open ended, insofar as my boss would give me a goal and a rough priority/timescale, and I could use almost any way I could think of to achieve that. As well as many of my tasks being directly related to my previous experience from my degree (e.g. CAD, experimentation, machining, some accounting) there was also a large component of lateral thinking, analysis and planning that was largely honed by the years of project work on my course.

It seems that management and lateral thinking are big parts of the process of creating engineering and science applications.

1. What is the purpose of reasoning in mechanical engineering applications?

Reasoning is an essential aspect of mechanical engineering applications as it allows engineers to analyze and solve complex problems related to the design, development, and operation of mechanical systems.

2. What are the different types of reasoning used in mechanical engineering?

There are various types of reasoning used in mechanical engineering, such as deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and abductive reasoning. Deductive reasoning involves using general principles to arrive at specific conclusions, while inductive reasoning involves using specific observations to reach a general conclusion. Abductive reasoning involves making an inference based on the available evidence.

3. How does reasoning play a role in the design process for mechanical engineering applications?

Reasoning is crucial in the design process for mechanical engineering applications as it helps engineers to evaluate different design options, identify potential flaws, and optimize the design for efficiency and functionality. It also allows engineers to troubleshoot any problems that may arise during the design process.

4. Can reasoning be applied to non-technical aspects of mechanical engineering applications?

Yes, reasoning can also be applied to non-technical aspects of mechanical engineering applications, such as project management, cost analysis, and risk assessment. In these cases, engineers use reasoning to make informed decisions and develop strategies for successful project completion.

5. How can engineers improve their reasoning skills for mechanical engineering applications?

Engineers can improve their reasoning skills for mechanical engineering applications by practicing critical thinking, staying updated with the latest industry advancements, and seeking feedback from peers and mentors. They can also attend training programs and workshops focused on developing reasoning skills specific to mechanical engineering.