Applications for number of paths?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
nomadreid
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Given a set of points in space, there is a nice little method (using adjacency matrices, but this detail is not essential to the question) to determine how many possible paths there are from one point to another. Fine, but are there any real-world applications for this?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
UPS thinks so. :smile:

nomadreid
Gold Member
Thanks, phinds, but UPS has criteria as to which path to take: the shortest in time or distance or expense, usually. This method doesn't allow any ranking in the paths; it only gives the number of paths. I don't see that UPS would find that very interesting.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks, phinds, but UPS has criteria as to which path to take: the shortest in time or distance or expense, usually. This method doesn't allow any ranking in the paths; it only gives the number of paths. I don't see that UPS would find that very interesting.
My point is that if you don't know what all the paths are, how can you possibly choose the most efficient one, no matter WHAT criteria you use?

nomadreid
Gold Member
Valid point, except that this method does not tell you what the paths are, just how many of them there are.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Valid point, except that this method does not tell you what the paths are, just how many of them there are.
Ah. I didn't realize that. Yeah, I don't think that sounds helpful to anyone but it's amazing how sometimes things turn out to be useful in unexpected ways.