Applications of Schlieren System for Research

In summary, Schlieren photography is a technique used to capture the movement of fluids. It is old news and has been used historically for studying standing shock waves. It has also been used for studying high speed shock waves.
lolcat
Hey guys,

As you can see this is my first post on the forum. I came here hoping to find some ideas for doing research with Schlieren photography. I am currently a senior in university and want to do research in physics for my final semester here. I came across Schlieren photography while brainstorming on Google and began reading into it.

I found some DIY articles online on how to make it at home. Has anyone had any experience with it? How hard is it to make one? I'm willing to put work into as I am really interested in it.

My other question is that does anyone have any ideas about applications for this system once I have made it? I want to sell this idea to my professor who will be advising me in this research, but I want to have a good application for it once its created. I thought about fluid and air flow, aerodynamics, etc. but not sure about anything else.

Hopefully you can help me out! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last bump... lol any help? I have to submit everything in within the next week to get everything approved for next semester. Anything is appreciated!

Alright no ideas huh lol... how about anything regarding ferrofluids? What kind of research can be done with them? Hope I have better luck with this one lol

Maybe it might help if you describe what Schlieren photography/system? I don't know, just a thought. I would love for you to get help but it is out of my knowledge.

Thanks for your reponse! And wow never thought of that... I thought it was pretty common with physics majors (im a bio major btw). Sorry about that. It's basically a method of being able to capture the movement of fluids (mostly gases). Here's some cool vids that can explain it a lot better than I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFwH0BVd3Q&list=FLRdzTw7w4NLBWSGfrwg4rcw&index=92&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDG6zNfbfw&list=FLRdzTw7w4NLBWSGfrwg4rcw&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't work with Schlieren photography but I had some colleagues who did. This technique has been used historically for over a hundred years now for visualising standing shock waves in supersonic flows (I believe Ernst Mach was the first to do that). Now that's old news and what you might want to do if you have access to a high speed camera is to study high speed shock waves like those who happen in detonation. one area that is not fully understood is DDT (Deflagration to Detonation Transition) and you might find this an interesting application for Schlieren photography. There is also what is called the Rainbow Schlieren which is more difficult to setup but has the advantage of providing quantitative results (e.g temperature profiles) as opposed to the qualitative results provided by normal Schlieren systems.

Anyway, these are just some keywords and thoughts that might help you in searching the literature of Schlieren photography. As I said, I didn't work with such systems so might find my post somehow inaccurate.

Cheers

1. What is a Schlieren system and how does it work?

A Schlieren system is an optical technique used to visualize small variations in the density of a transparent medium, such as air. It works by using a light source and a knife-edge to create a shadow of the medium. This shadow is then captured by a camera and processed to produce images of the density variations.

2. What are the main applications of a Schlieren system in research?

A Schlieren system can be used in a variety of research fields, including fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, heat transfer, and combustion. It is often used to study shock waves, boundary layers, and other flow phenomena that are difficult to visualize with traditional methods.

3. How is a Schlieren system different from other flow visualization techniques?

Unlike other techniques that rely on the scattering or reflection of light, a Schlieren system directly measures the density variations in the medium. This allows for high-resolution visualization of small-scale features in the flow, making it a valuable tool for research.

4. What are the advantages and limitations of using a Schlieren system?

The main advantage of a Schlieren system is its ability to visualize small density variations in a transparent medium. It is also non-intrusive and can be used to study high-speed flows. However, it is limited to transparent media and cannot provide quantitative data on the flow parameters.

5. How can a Schlieren system be used in practical applications?

In addition to research, a Schlieren system has practical applications in industries such as aerospace and automotive engineering. It can be used to study and improve the design of airfoils, nozzles, and other components that experience high-speed flows. It can also be used for quality control in the production of transparent materials, such as glass or plastics.